Ball of dirt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForPhilbert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Naples, FL
My boyfriend and I just built my russian tort a new enclosure today! It is almost doubled in size from what he had before which is great! However, in his previous enclosure I was using just reptibark for his substrate which seemed to keep him relatively clean. In his new enclosure I am using a mix between coconut coir and some stop soil. Within twenty minutes of him exploring his new home he now looks like a ball of dirt! Also, his water dish now looks like a bucket of mud. I was told that coconut coir and topsoil was a great substrate but I am concerned about his eyes and perhaps his breathing. This stuff is caked on there pretty thick and I would hate for him to get sick. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or if this is okay for him to be covered in his substrate at all times. Thanks!!!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
When it dries out some it should not stick to him. If it gets around his eyes I would pour warm water on his face to wash it away.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Pack it down a bit more as well.. he will pick a spot to burrow a bit, but the rest doesnt need to be 'soft'.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
I was told to use cypress mulch, and i love it! i used the soil and had the same issue. after a day it did dry up and didnt stick, but i just love the cypress mulch. much cleaner and hold the humidity better. but then agian i dont have a russian and i dont think you need to worry about the humidity factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.