Baby tortoise bit another's shell?

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa
I have a friend with two leopard tortoises. They're just a few months old. One bit the others shell, on the edge by the back feet and actually took off some shell.

She said it didn't appear to be bullying, just curious (many baby turtles bite weird things).

Tortoise is fine, but I've never seen such a thing!

_________
~ Shelly ~

lkwagner

5 Year Member
That's definitely bullying and they should be separated asap

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Two questions:
Is she using a colored bulb for heat?
Is she using a coil type bulb for UV?
Both of these can cause visual issues.

It is highly unlikely that a baby leopard tortoise is showing that kind of aggression, and its also highly unlikely that a baby leopard was able to remove part of the shell from another one. They just don't have that kind of jaw strength. It seems more likely that the baby already had some sort of injury and the other was biting at the seeping wound possibly due to the smell.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Re: RE: Baby tortoise bit another's shell?

Tom said:
Two questions:
Is she using a colored bulb for heat?
Is she using a coil type bulb for UV?
Both of these can cause visual issues.

It is highly unlikely that a baby leopard tortoise is showing that kind of aggression, and its also highly unlikely that a baby leopard was able to remove part of the shell from another one. They just don't have that kind of jaw strength. It seems more likely that the baby already had some sort of injury and the other was biting at the seeping wound possibly due to the smell.

Just saw this!

Yikes. I sure hope not. I will bring it up to her. She hasn't split them up, yet. I tried to tell her but as you know... some people! :(

She uses the right bulbs, no coils or anything.

_________
~ Shelly ~