Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
i have a 5-7 month old baby sulcata tortoise, i am worried he is sleeping too much. He eats then seems to wander around for about 5-10 minutes then he hides under his light to nap for hours. I believe that the temperature is too low.(Maybe stress is a factor?)
Also was wondering the best way to prevent MBD, ive researched countless of times and find myself in the same predicament. (Ive read that low temps make it difficult for calcium to be processed so maybe that could b a factor?)
any tips or concerns would be very much appreciated and welcomed.
This is my first couple weeks caring for Turtle The Tortoise, and i want to make sure i dont do him wrong with mistakes i am making.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs to be in closed chamber with a basking area of 95-100, over all temp and and night 80-85 never lower and humidity of 80%.
The disc for temp is unreliable and needs to be replaced with a digital that reads temp and humidity and needs to be placed at tortoise height.
Please read the caresheet on this forum and forget what you may have read in other sites.
Warm water soaks for 30 minutes daily
A proper diet and uvb will prevent MBD. A small pinch of a calcium powder on the food 2-3 times a week.

Wayland, NY
He needs to be in closed chamber with a basking area of 95-100, over all temp and and night 80-85 never lower and humidity of 80%.
The disc for temp is unreliable and needs to be replaced with a digital that reads temp and humidity and needs to be placed at tortoise height.
Please read the caresheet on this forum and forget what you may have read in other sites.
A proper diet and uvb will prevent MBD. A small pinch of a calcium powder on the food 2-3 times a week.
Thank you. i have a CHE coming in tmrw, do you think that will help with the Temperature? Also do you have any recommendations for the Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer (before i buy another unreliable one lol).

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
Give these a read:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

You're going to have to cover the top of that enclosure with some kind of plastic, like a greenhouse tent, and/or get a new enclosure. Baby sulcatas need to be kept very moist and humid, which is impossible to do with an open topped enclosure like yours, and those "Zoo med tortoise house" type enclosures tend to mold in high humidity.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you. i have a CHE coming in tmrw, do you think that will help with the Temperature? Also do you have any recommendations for the Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer (before i buy another unreliable one lol).
Any digital. You can get them at home depots, lowes, Menards, and hardware stores. They are around 10-15 bucks.

Wayland, NY
Welcome to the forum!
Give these a read:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

You're going to have to cover the top of that enclosure with some kind of plastic, like a greenhouse tent, and/or get a new enclosure. Baby sulcatas need to be kept very moist and humid, which is impossible to do with an open topped enclosure like yours, and those "Zoo med tortoise house" type enclosures tend to mold in high humidity
Would this type of enclosure work better/is this the kind you were talking about?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Would this type of enclosure work better/is this the kind you were talking about?
That one still has a mesh top that lets humidity out. Ideally, you want a solid box that houses all of the heating and lighting elements inside. For example, look into animal plastics enclosures.
If you're okay with something a little ugly, Mylar greenhouse tents can be converted into cheap, functional tortoise enclosures. Your baby sulcata is going to get very big, very fast anyway, so you might get one of the 80 x 48 inch or similarly sized ones to use until your tortoise is 8-11 inches and ready to move outdoors full time with a heated, insulated night box for night and cold weather. I use one for my ball python, and I replaced part of the front opening with clear vinyl to see in.

Do you have a plan for what you'll do when your tortoise is too big to live indoors, especially during the winter? While it can be done, this species is difficult to keep in cooler climates, and I'm not sure just a night box will be enough for you. You may need a shed or similar space dedicated to winter housing, though I'm not terribly familiar with New York's climate, so I'll leave it for other people to comment on.

Wayland, NY
That one still has a mesh top that lets humidity out. Ideally, you want a solid box that houses all of the heating and lighting elements inside. For example, look into animal plastics enclosures.
If you're okay with something a little ugly, Mylar greenhouse tents can be converted into cheap, functional tortoise enclosures. Your baby sulcata is going to get very big, very fast anyway, so you might get one of the 80 x 48 inch or similarly sized ones to use until your tortoise is 8-11 inches and ready to move outdoors full time with a heated, insulated night box for night and cold weather. I use one for my ball python, and I replaced part of the front opening with clear vinyl to see in.

Do you have a plan for what you'll do when your tortoise is too big to live indoors, especially during the winter? While it can be done, this species is difficult to keep in cooler climates, and I'm not sure just a night box will be enough for you. You may need a shed or similar space dedicated to winter housing, though I'm not terribly familiar with New York's climate, so I'll leave it for other people to comment on.
Thankfully i have a Mylar Tent that is not in use. im hoping to be moved somewhere warmer by the end of next summer, if it doesnt go as plan ill jus have to build him his own house for winter lmao. i feel as if i jumped in the deep end without knowing how to swim. but i am trying to learn along the way (which definitely was not the way to go about it)

Wayland, NY
is their anyway to keep him somewhat happy and healthy for a few days while i figure out the kinks?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
is their anyway to keep him somewhat happy and healthy for a few days while i figure out the kinks?
If he is cold, can't bask under right temps and is kept to dry, that's all critical for a hatchling. I suggest not wasting too much time
The lighting you need is a tube florescent for uvb, an incandescent flood for basking and a che or two for added day heat and night heat.
Look for a greenhouse covers like pictured to cover the box.
Or a bigger one that you can fit the enclosure in and then use just the greenhouse part when he gets a bit bigger
Screenshot_20231023-185743.pngScreenshot_20231023-162350.png

Wayland, NY
If he is cold, can't bask under right temps and is kept to dry, that's all critical for a hatchling. I suggest not wasting too much time
The lighting you need is a tube florescent for uvb, an incandescent flood for basking and a che or two for added day heat and night heat.
Look for a greenhouse covers like pictured to cover the box.
Or a bigger one that you can fit the enclosure in and then use just the greenhouse part when he gets a bit bigger
View attachment 362711View attachment 362712
i think ive bought everything you’ve said i needed. everything will be here before the end of the week, thank you for helping me with my troubles.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
i put the whole enclosure into my grow tent, hopefully it helps with the humidity. would spraying it with a spray bottle be a good way to keep it humid throughout the day?
Mixing water into the subrstrate will help the most, and spraying would also help. I would also spray the top of your tortoise's shell to keep it moist and hydrated. Good thinking sticking the whole enclosure into your grow tent, I meant to recommend that you do that and forgot.

1wildtiger

Alexandria VA
Check out my experience when I first got my baby Eastern Hermann’s Torts. I did pretty much what you are doing when I first started before I found this forum and all of the helpful members. I have many pictures of my progress. Good luck!!