Baby sulcata eats so much

Randoozle

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, Oregon
I have a 2 year old sulcata tortoise. She/he has just come out of brumation and is eating all day every day. I'm beyond happy that she is happy and healthy, but with the prices of lettuce and other produce these days, she is eating the greens in my wallet as well. Is there a bulky produce I can get for them to snack on for long periods of time? If there's isn't, that's perfectly okay, she/he is worth every penny.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have a 2 year old sulcata tortoise. She/he has just come out of brumation and is eating all day every day. I'm beyond happy that she is happy and healthy, but with the prices of lettuce and other produce these days, she is eating the greens in my wallet as well. Is there a bulky produce I can get for them to snack on for long periods of time? If there's isn't, that's perfectly okay, she/he is worth every penny.
Hey there...I'm in Corvallis...I also keep Sulcata. but mine don't brumate...They as a species don't normally brumate...My Sulcata, Mary, is about 10 years old, we aren't sure as she was a kidnapped rescue...during the winter she doesn't eat everyday but she is active and moves around her shed daily. I open her doggie door and most times she doesn't go out during the winter...but she sits with her face out the door
Years ago I went to the manager of the produce section of my local Safeway store and explained how I operated a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue and was hoping they would donate produce they can't sell...I get as many orange boxes of produce as I want. Most of it is good enuf to serve at dinner for friends...They know they are eating 'tortoise' food...lol
if I had your tortoise at that age I'd be buying a container of Spring Mix for $5...then I'd add stuff like kale or mustard greens...for about $10 you can mix up enuf food for a week...Soon we will have Spring and I would hope your baby would spend most of their time out grazing...DSCN1907.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you need to show us a pic. If it's really a sulcata, it's not suppose to brumate. Please post a pic and then do some research on this forum for proper care.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size is your tortoise? If its over 12 inches, it is time to introduce grass hay.

Its best to avoid grocery store produce and feed more natural foods like weeds, grass, leaves, flowers and spineless opuntia pads.

Sulcatas do NOT brumate, and need to be kept up and warm and eating all winter. If you truly have a sulcata and you let is get cold for weeks or months at a time, you are lucky it is still alive. Post a picture so we can verify the species?

Here is more food info:

Randoozle

Portland, Oregon
What size is your tortoise? If its over 12 inches, it is time to introduce grass hay.

Its best to avoid grocery store produce and feed more natural foods like weeds, grass, leaves, flowers and spineless opuntia pads.

Sulcatas do NOT brumate, and need to be kept up and warm and eating all winter. If you truly have a sulcata and you let is get cold for weeks or months at a time, you are lucky it is still alive. Post a picture so we can verify the species?

Here is more food info:

Attachments

• Snapchat-373477404.jpg
    Snapchat-373477404.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 3

Randoozle

Portland, Oregon
We got this one 2 years ago at a local pet store. I live in Oregon and have never seen this species for sale in any store, and only the zoo has one to look at. These pics were taken about 6 months apart. The first is most recent.

Attachments

• Snapchat-373477404.jpg
    Snapchat-373477404.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230704_165650.jpg
    20230704_165650.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is indeed a sulcata. Now do not let it brumate as it wouldn't do it naturally anyway, you would have had to let him get too cold for him to slow down. Get the enclosure, temps and humidity correct if it's not so he can stay as smooth as he is and healthy.

Randoozle

Portland, Oregon
It is indeed a sulcata. Now do not let it brumate as it wouldn't do it naturally anyway, you would have had to let him get too cold for him to slow down. Get the enclosure, temps and humidity correct if it's not so he can stay as smooth as he is and healthy.
Thank you. We did have a winter storm and unfortunately we only have space to keep him in the garage at the moment. We move to a new house next month, so she/he will have a better area.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@Randoozle ...... Please do not get offended by receiving the news " Your doing it wrong" The people here have an unconditional love for these beautiful creatures, and believe it or not they want your tortoise to thrive, be happy and most of all healthy. Improper care know means serious issues later in life, causing suffering on your torts part. Welcome and I hope you 2 stick around, I am positive you both will be happier.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you. We did have a winter storm and unfortunately we only have space to keep him in the garage at the moment. We move to a new house next month, so she/he will have a better area.
You have to have the proper heat and humidity no matter where you keep him. If you don't it's cruel and you will be lucky if he survives to move with you if you are still having cold temps. They should never be in temps lower than 80 day and night!

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The garage is fine. I have torts in my garage too, but all tortoises need the correct temperatures no matter where they are. This species comes from subsaharan Africa and it is always warm there year round. They live mostly underground in the wild and the ground temperatures are 80-85 year round. Day time highs are typically near or above 100 degrees every single day. There is no "winter" there.