Baby sulcata diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
In September I got a baby sulcata tortoise for my birthday. Every day in the morning I give him this food mix that I buy from the pet store that he LOVES and for dinner he gets carrots and sometimes a little cucumber which he loves also! As I began reading these forums I realized he needed more in his diet. I bought a veggie mix with broccoli, carrots and cauliflower, I gave him the broccoli and carrots but not the cauliflower. Can he have it or no? What are some calcium and vitamin supplements I can buy that's cheap? If anybody would like to leave a list of vegetables I can give him it would be great! I live in Florida and I know we don't have and pesticides or fertilizer in my yard so can I take him outside to eat grass and is there anything I should make sure he shouldn't eat? Also I have realized he has been eating his own droppings and I read on google it's okay but I don't really like it. I'm a VERY cautious mother (lol) and I don't feel comfortable letting him eat it. He likes to poop in his food and water bowl too, is there a way I can make him not do that? I read on google also that it can give them cactus how do I buy that!? And I found a website for tortoise plants you plant in the home itself but it's pretty expensive is there a place I can buy it really cheap? I know this is really long but I want whats best for him! Is there and kind of vegetables I can grow in a pot for him in my room so I know there isn't anything put on them that would harm him? We have a garden but I think we use pesticides and fertilizers so I can't use that. One last thing please realize I am only 14 so please don't send me anything that is expensive try and keep everything cheap because I don't have a job!! Thanks!

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
findlay,ohio
dandilion greens are always a good thing to feed them. he can eat out of the yard if you know there are no fertilizers . the poop thing wont stop its what they do. he could be doing that for lack of vitamins or could be just because they do . keep the humidity up daily baths misting being a baby .

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Go to. Tortoiselibrary.com. there s lots of info there, or. Click the threads under my signature...

Amber_123

5 Year Member
surie_the_tortoise said:
dandilion greens are always a good thing to feed them. he can eat out of the yard if you know there are no fertilizers . the poop thing wont stop its what they do. he could be doing that for lack of vitamins or could be just because they do . keep the humidity up daily baths misting being a baby .

Thank you! And don't laugh because I am probably going to sound really stupid but what's daily baths misting ? I bought him from a place that knew NOTHING about him so they Can't help me out!:(

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
findlay,ohio
put a little warm water in bowl and let him soak in it for a few minutes also get a spray bottle to spray him down .

Amber_123

5 Year Member
surie_the_tortoise said:
put a little warm water in bowl and let him soak in it for a few minutes also get a spray bottle to spray him down .

Okay thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.