Baby sulcata beak problem

Dino_White

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Greeting fellow tortoise lover,

I'm Albert from Indonesia.

I got my baby sulcata around 5th November 2018

Its plastron was 5.5 cm and still the same until now, but its carapace has grown a little bit.

This is Ping pong.

Since I came back from holiday, and took it back from my friend on 2nd of Jan I notice that it is sick, with bubbles on its nose, and I notice another thing which is its lower beak position is "forwarded"(sorry for my english). When it eats, it often move its beak to the front and back.

this it Ping pong with its new growth line.

SmartSelect_20190127-165329_Samsung Notes.jpg

20190130_125517.jpg20190130_125517.jpg it can be seen in this photo about the abnormality of the lower beak. Now I have to dice its food ( hibiscus leaf& flower, weed grass, roman lettuce and repcal tortoise pellets).

20181209_173943.jpg
This is its home. Temperature inside the cave between 28-30 (82.4- 86 F) ( now is rainy season, and the humidity can reach 60-70). And basking temperature around 34-37 (93.2-98.6 F)

Does any body here had the same problem with its lower beak like that??

Any advices or guidances can be helpful for me :)
Regards,

Albert

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just be sure to feed Ping Pong foods high in calcium, and make sure you are using a GOOD UVB light to help the calcium do its job.

Dino_White

Indonesia
Just be sure to feed Ping Pong foods high in calcium, and make sure you are using a GOOD UVB light to help the calcium do its job.

So the jaw problem was caused by lack of calcium??

For the UVB I have been using Exo Terra Solar glo, and they said it's one of the best mercury vapour.

xMario

Germany
Yes I have a cuttle bone, but I never saw it bitting the bone. I usually grind it and spread it on top of the food. It is hard for Ping pong to chew the bone
If u put a flat stone in his cage and put food on top he will eventually hit the stone by trying to get the stuff in his mouth maybe this can help him wear down his beak