Baby Ploughshare Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

narattah

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok, Thailand
I'd like to share pictures of a baby Ploughshare tortoise.
At this size, it does look like Indian Star with Sulcata shell :)

P1010078.jpg

P1010076.jpg

P1010082.jpg

P1010083.jpg

P1010086.jpg

P1010090.jpg

P1010105.jpg

P1010122.jpg

Can you tell the difference?

P1010102.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow. So was it captive bred there? Good news if yes. Is it yours?

narattah

5 Year Member
Bangkok, Thailand
Tom said:

It would take many more years to have any captives. But hopefully there will be some good news in the future.

That's my habitat and is taken by my camera, so you might be right :p

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
narattah said:
Tom said:

It would take many more years to have any captives. But hopefully there will be some good news in the future.

That's my habitat and is taken by my camera, so you might be right :p

I think what Tom means is did it come from the wild or captivity?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know they're readily available in certain countries (but probably illegal), but they're so critically endangered I really hate to see anyone buy them and provide the market for them.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They are #10 on the list of the top 25 most critically endangered tortoises and fresh water turtles in the world.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
kyryah said:
They are #10 on the list of the top 25 most critically endangered tortoises and fresh water turtles in the world.

Kristina, can you give me a list of the top ten most endangered tortoises and freshwater turtles in the world? Thanks.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nice animal/pics.

Tom
If there were any legal captive bred yniphora, they most likely will not be in a private collection. There is one private in the US with a legally obtained wild caught male. Any other yniphora in private collections is most likely/probably illegally obtained.

In asia, it seems like wildlife laws aren't as strictly enforced as they are here (though there is tons of illegal activity here, especially in AZ such as gila monster/rare rattlesnake/etc. smuggling).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Norman. Since they seem so readily available in some of the Asian countries, I was just wondering if anyone was captive breeding over there. That baby sure looks tiny and clean to be wild caught and smuggled. Maybe a smuggled female laid eggs and thats a captive BORN offspring? It would be nice if someone over there had a group of these and was breeding them. I was just wondering if this was the case.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom

I heard a few people are captive breeding them, but I believe they still wouldn't be legal because the adults were illegally obtained. I have heard how some of the babies are obtained. Maybe it is just tortoise gossip...who knows.

It is crazy to see pics of a dozen babies for sale. They are cheaper than the price of radiata or platynota here in the states.

Off topic....but you need to get some platynota. haha

narattah

5 Year Member
Bangkok, Thailand
There are people here who keep adult pairs for future captive breeding so at least we will definitely be seeing some if not many hatchlings by then.

As for Platynota, we also have some breeders here as well.

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Asia country is not as strict?? How I wish..
Try living in Singapore, I reckon you'll rather die then to live there. I have Singaporean friends & relatives who wishes to leave that place for good. You can't find a single land tortise in Singapore. Needless to mention about any other exotic pets.. Everything exotic are consider illegal!
That place is worst then hell!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
TortBrain said:
Asia country is not as strict?? How I wish..
Try living in Singapore, I reckon you'll rather die then to live there. I have Singaporean friends & relatives who wishes to leave that place for good. You can't find a single land tortise in Singapore. Needless to mention about any other exotic pets.. Everything exotic are consider illegal!
That place is worst then hell!

This is not what I've heard. I've seen recent pictures of someone here on the forum who took a vacation there and showed us pictures of all kinds of land tortoises piled up together in bins for sale. Oh, wait...maybe that was Hong Kong. I may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.