Baby leopard housing... First time owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tysleopardglenn

5 Year Member
So I just got my first leopard tortoise from a breeder in Arizona and I have his cage set up with sphagnum miss in one corner under the basking light for a micro climate and I have Eco-earth bedding on the rest of the cage and a layer of orchard grass covering the Eco earth to promote grazing but I'm worried he might eat to much of the Eco earth. I just can't get a lock on the best substrate to use and I'm kinda stuck. I'm using a exoterra 125 watt solar glow mercury vapor bulb for heat and have hides placed throughought. Any feed back I can get would be really helpful! Planning on a diet of Timothy, orchard grass, endives, collards, mustard greens, prickly cactus pads, watercress, dandelion greens, escarole, and turnip greens all rotated with a little Mazuri here and there with repti cal ever other day. He is three weeks old. Any additional ideas or tips would be much appriciated

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Wow, nice start for that little guy! Your enclosure sounds good to me. Others will want to know your temperatures at the hot and cool sides. Substrates are tough - each person has an opinion or preference so you have to try a few and see what you like. Just stay way from sand because they will eat that. A lot of people like coco-coir which is similar to the moss.

Your food menu is better than some garden buffets I've seen. Might even be too much. Don't feel like you have to give him everything, remember they eat only a few basic things in the wild and that is mostly grasses. You can drop the timothy hay - I can almost guarantee he won't touch that, especially if you give him nice soft green stuff. Feed him a little of each of your items and see what he likes best. Mix in some mazuri every other day or so and you'll be great.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I went through all the substrates with my Leo hatchling and ended up using organic topsoil with sphagnum moss in his hide's. I liked it because it held the moidture I put in it but I raised my hatchling in a Viv with plexus top to keep humidity in.
You sound like you have a great grasp on everything though. I'd love to see pics of your set up and your new baby:)

Tysleopardglenn

5 Year Member
Thanks guys for the help so I just put him in there and once he started waking up he started nibbling on the moss.... Is this a problem. I just got him this morning from a breeder in Arizona and I'm really paranoid about doing things right for himImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365514476.028456.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365514524.025706.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365514622.168853.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365514658.745472.jpg let me know what you guys think!!

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365514720.702048.jpg. Forgot his hide

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Congrats on the new baby leopard ..everything sounds great....the only thing I'm seeing is your substrate the coco coir looks a little dry to me.....maybe you can spray it down and soak it a bit....what's your humidity like?

Sorry also wanted to add maybe I can't see it in the picture but I don't see any water source...a shallow water dish is a must these little guys need to have a drink whenever they want it ..a shallow terra cotta dish is what I prefer to use :)

Tysleopardglenn

5 Year Member
Not sure I have to pick up a hygrometer after work today I have that area of sphagnum soaked pretty well to create a micro climate do I need everything in the cage to be wet? Also is it an issue if he is nibbling at the moss?? I put food in there and it's what the breeder said they were eating so I am hoping he is just a little nervous in his new cage but he was walking around after about ten min under his light

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Tysleopardglenn said:
Not sure I have to pick up a hygrometer after work today I have that area of sphagnum soaked pretty well to create a micro climate do I need everything in the cage to be wet? Also is it an issue if he is nibbling at the moss?? I put food in there and it's what the breeder said they were eating so I am hoping he is just a little nervous in his new cage but he was walking around after about ten min under his light

He's probably just exploring and sniffing/nibbling is what my guy does when he wants to check something out...he may be staying under the lamp because the rest of the enclosure is to cold or he may just be basking....try and get a good idea do all your temps in the enclosure ...meaning under the lamp but also surrounding areas....I use a Powersun 100watt and a CHE 100w (on 24 hours a day)..and yes I personally would mist the entire enclosure ...hot/humid is important for baby leopards ....you should read some of Tom or Niels care sheets....they are leopard pros and extremely nice and helpful

I would def add a humid hide as well....he needs to feel safe and secure.... a log hide is great or simply using a plastic shoe box with a hole cut into it.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Tysleopardglenn said:
I know my temps are 98-100 in the basking zone and 77 on the cool side

Ok great so get a read on humidity and aim to keep it between 70 and 80% but you'll also need to boost the cool side up to 80. You won't want your temps to ever drop below 80 day or night with the high humidity your hatchling will need.

Btw I was just like you a few months ago....I've had my baby leopard since jan....all I did was read read read on this forum and asked questions like your doing now which is great....I now catch myself in pet shops all the time simply stopping in to check on their torts and in a nice kind way giving them some "forum knowledge" I call it....I even have friends who have had torts longer than I who call for advice and help and I simply tell them what I learn on here....this forum is an awesome place so your def on the right track.

Tysleopardglenn

5 Year Member
Ok thanks so much what do you think about the moss thing? Will it harm him if he does eat a little of it. I planned on giving him a good soak when I get home and working on the humidity and heat everything else seems good though right??

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Tysleopardglenn said:
Ok thanks so much what do you think about the moss thing? Will it harm him if he does eat a little of it. I planned on giving him a good soak when I get home and working on the humidity and heat everything else seems good though right??

The moss is fine my guy loves sleeping in his... There are way more exp people on here than I but I think your off to a great start....def get a hide in there asap as well..and ask as many questions as you want or need to on here whenever your unsure about something

Tysleopardglenn

5 Year Member
I'm getting one today I was worried because I have read they might flip over if your not careful and get one low enough...

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Yes they can flip over. Most commercial bowls are no good. You could try a terra cotta plant saucer. Narrow, heavy, sturdy and flat. A lot of forum users use these as they can be buried in substrate and are Easy to walk in and out of.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Everything looks good, you just need to add a water dish, I use a terra cotta plant saucer from home depot as recommended by many here. What is your alternate heat source besides your light? If you don't have one you should get a CHE and put it on the other side and my only other suggestion is spraying your substrate down thoroughly 4-5 times a day or dumping a glass or two of water all over the bottom a few times a day to keep it hot and humid. Oh and one more thing... Very important, you need a humid hide. Go to the TFO search and type in humid hide and read all about them. Like I said before, great job!!

Tysleopardglenn

5 Year Member
Ok so I'm finally off work to fine tune the cage... I'm going to get a water dish in a few and everything else I don't have I am getting on Friday when I get paid. I soaked him in water when I got home and he was walking around and drinking. I chopped him up orchard grass and escarole together and he munched on it for about a half hour or so and is continually walking around his cage. After letting the lights heat up completly I'm at 101 in the hottest spot and 81.1 on the farthest cold spot. He spends almost all of his time on the hot side walking all over the place though.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
That is all great news do you just keep his light on all day? If so on Friday when you get paid get a ceramic heat emmitter and only keep his light on for 12 hours.

Tysleopardglenn

5 Year Member
Yeah I just got him about nine o clock this morning and his light will go off at nine tonight. Will a Che keep it warm enough at night once the mvb goes off

Status
Not open for further replies.