Baby Greek Tortoises-brumate?

Mel0408

Location (City and/or State)
Whitsett, nc
Hi Everyone,
I have 5-week old baby Greek tortoises. They are indoors currently. Their parents brumate in their outdoor enclosure, but since these are the first babies that I have had, I don't know if the little guys will brumate naturally indoors, or if I need to continue to feed them normally.

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They would have to be properly prepared for brumating.
If you are going to keep them up, make sure the lights are bright and on 12-14 hours and temps don't go below 70 at night.

Mel0408

Whitsett, nc
They would have to be properly prepared for brumating.
If you are going to keep them up, make sure the lights are bright and on 12-14 hours and temps don't go below 70 at night.
What is best for them? I will keep them indoors all winter, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to keep the lights on for them and keep feeding them. What are your thoughts Wellington? Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, if you keep them inside, keep them up and feed and treat the same as if it were summer.
I don't brumate my Russian so I don't know if it's too late to put them outside to let them brumate. I don't think NC gets cold enough for them to properly brumate. They likely just slow down. They have to be kept in a constant cold temp, in the 40's 48 I think in order to properly brumate.