Baby Doves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
The classroom doves are growing! We've been having parent-teacher conferences this week, and the students have been proudly explaining dove care to their families. I'm going to re-post the first baby picture for comparison.
Squishies3-23.jpg

This one was taken on Saturday. The girl, right, hatched one day before the boy, left.
Babies3-26BoyLGirlR.jpg

This is the girl, taken today. She has peach coloring in the centers of her wing feathers.
BabyGirl3-3012daysold.jpg

This is the boy, taken today. He has wild color (gray) in the centers of his wing feathers.
BabyBoy3-3011daysold.jpg

Two weeks ago they were still in the egg, and in another two weeks they'll be eating on their own and ready to leave their parents. Amazing!!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Wow, it's amazing what 2 weeks can do! They are super cute!! What an amazing experience you are giving to your students!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Laura said:
you can tell male and fem this young with that wing color? wow..

Not by wing color. It's by behavior. My daughter sexes them this way and is 100%. The girl is docile when handled, while the boy is already asserting himself and letting me know he wants order in his world! That their feathers are coming in different colors just makes it easy to tell which one I'm looking at.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Laura said:
you can tell male and fem this young with that wing color? wow..
My daughter sexes them by behavior and is 100% so far. These two are different colors too and that makes it easy to tell which one I'm looking at. The girl is docile when I handle her, while the boy is already asserting himself and letting me know that he wants order in his world!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Awww look at the little cuties :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They are cute, lol.

Any updates Edna? I have had several babies since you posted this. Another peach, a fawn silky, a wildtype, a pied, and a white. Prolific little buggers ;) When we move I am going to build an even bigger aviary, and a screened in gazebo outdoors for them.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Ringnecks and Mournings are actually two separate species. Ringnecks descend from the the African Ringneck, Streptopelia roseogrisea, and the domesticated breed is called Streptopelia risoria. Mourning doves are Zenaida macroura, are indigenous to North America and are closely related to the Eared dove and Socorro dove. The Socorro dove is extinct in the wild and there are probably less than 100 purebreds in captivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.