AZ Tortoise keeper's almost-anything-goes thread

erica anne

5 Year Member
I heard somewhere that the AZ people chat on this thread! So I am saying hi from Phoenix :D

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
erica anne said:
I heard somewhere that the AZ people chat on this thread! So I am saying hi from Phoenix :D

How's your morning so far?

erica anne

5 Year Member
Not too bad! I have a big exam in Chemistry today and looking forward to getting that behind me LOL.

Of course, I'd rather be hanging out here on the forum!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
erica anne said:
Not too bad! I have a big exam in Chemistry today and looking forward to getting that behind me LOL.

Of course, I'd rather be hanging out here on the forum!

Uugh! I Remember chemistry. That class made my head hurt. Good luck on your test tho!

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
National Weather Service just issued Hard Freeze Warming for Wednesday thru Saturday for some parts of Western Arizona. Get your sheets and blankets ready for your plants and outdoor enclosures.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Oh boy! That also means my kidlets are spending time indoors

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Time to pull out all of my tubs, I need to plan on everyone in the living room for awhile. Every thing gets to come inside except for the Ibera's and the Russians. I usually move them outside once the mornings warm up to 65. Btw don't forget to cover your hibiscus or they will get hit hard.

Yes, I did get my property. Do you have any idea how hard it is to clear 1 acre of cholla, I have some 12 feet tall. Now I know why some people call it jumping cholla! I need to winterize the water pipes tomorrow. I hope the tortoises appreciate the work it is going to take to get this whipped into shape. I hope to move my sulcatas in the spring if I can get fences up and get shelters built for them.

erica anne

5 Year Member
This is the first year my sulcata has been outside. You bring yours in even if they are in a heated enclosure? Is it only when there is a possible freeze?

parrotlady

5 Year Member
I bring mine in when I suspect it will freeze, they don't always go in their shelter. I have found them out even if I put them in. I guess I need to have a door than I can close securely behind them. This won't be an option next year, due to their growth. The largest is approximately 16 inches.

erica anne

5 Year Member
Ok, since my sully stays in her shelter all-night hopefully it will be okay for me to leave her out there when it gets cold. Although part of me just doesn't feel right doing this! What is your property for? It sounds like a lot of work but it seems you have exciting plans for it!

parrotlady

5 Year Member
I bought it for the tortoises, it has an older mobile home that I am currently remodeling, all new cabinets in kitchen, dining room and the bathroom, ripping out all of the old ceilings an walls, having drywall installed, recessed lighting, ceiling fans, new appliances. Basically it will be a new house in disguise. Somewhere down the road, I hope to have a new home built. Meanwhile, I got to have a place for company to go to!

erica anne

5 Year Member
Awesome!That is exactly what I would like to do someday. I was never interested into having land until I became interested in tortoises. What kind do you have and how many?

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Ok everyone I have found myself in a bit of a dilemma. Due to living arangements changing and needing a new car I need to rehome alot of my animals but I want to make sure they get a good home so I am hoping someone on here will be able to help. I live in Yuma Az but my sister lives in mesa so i could send any animal up with her if someone would prefer to meet her in mesa.

I have 3 bearded dragons that would be rehomed without any furnishings or cages. Then I have 6 fire belly toads that would come with their 20g long tank, filter, and all decor thats in the cage.

I also have one Desert tortoise named Bane that was a rescue and he suffered from severe malnutrition and dehydration. He is also an odd color due to lack of uv and other factors I am sure (his body is grey but shell is black though it has started turning brown in a few spots. I think he has some sort of organ damage as no matter how often I soak him his urates are still gritty. He isnt a big fan of fresh food but He absolutely loves Mazuri and will come with what mazuri I have left as well as some alfalfa powder I have been adding to the mazuri.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Thalatte said:
Ok everyone I have found myself in a bit of a dilemma. Due to living arangements changing and needing a new car I need to rehome alot of my animals but I want to make sure they get a good home so I am hoping someone on here will be able to help. I live in Yuma Az but my sister lives in mesa so i could send any animal up with her if someone would prefer to meet her in mesa.

I have 3 bearded dragons that would be rehomed without any furnishings or cages. Then I have 6 fire belly toads that would come with their 20g long tank, filter, and all decor thats in the cage.

I also have one Desert tortoise named Bane that was a rescue and he suffered from severe malnutrition and dehydration. He is also an odd color due to lack of uv and other factors I am sure (his body is grey but shell is black though it has started turning brown in a few spots. I think he has some sort of organ damage as no matter how often I soak him his urates are still gritty. He isnt a big fan of fresh food but He absolutely loves Mazuri and will come with what mazuri I have left as well as some alfalfa powder I have been adding to the mazuri.

im sorry you have to go through this. i just helped a friend of mine rehome all of her morphed ball pythons..she added up the value of all them and it came out to over $11,000. she had to give them away because she didnt have the time. anyways, back on topic, i cant help you with any of them, sorry about that. im sure someone will help you out though. good luck.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Thanks. I am hoping to atleast rehome Bane to someone on this forum as I feel he needs specialized care with a tort expert. He has been doing great and has gained alot of weight since I got him but he still has a long way to go.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Thalatte said:
Thanks. I am hoping to atleast rehome Bane to someone on this forum as I feel he needs specialized care with a tort expert. He has been doing great and has gained alot of weight since I got him but he still has a long way to go.

of course..this is the best place to look for someone that will meet his needs.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
I have the following tortoises, or maybe I should say they own me. Oh well, I have a trio of Sri Lankens, 5 leopards, pr red foots, 5 Russians, pr of pancakes, 10 golden Greeks, trio of Libyans , 20 Ibera's, and an assortment of other Greeks, this is not. Counting youngsters or eggs in the incubator. So I really needed a place with more room. The new place will provide the space, I hope to start building fences, and planting shrubs and trees. I really find lots of inspiration by looking at photos of the "Cove". Maybe someday I can afford a few of his hypos.

I can't tell you how many stares I get when I check out at the grocery store. Neighbors have named me the tortoise lady, they call me when ever they find or rescue turtles and or tortoises. They still don't understand the difference between native vs exotic tortoises.

My break time is over, I need to get back to work and finish a customers quilt. I won't complain quilting is paying for my other favorite hobby, Tortoises.