At what age and time can Russian tortoises breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
At what age and time can Russian's breed?

At what age and time of year can Russian tortoise's breed? Because my friend has two which we think they are females (I'll post picks of them later and get your guy's opinion on there sex) but we are hoping to breed them but I was curious how old do they need to be and what time of year do they breed?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
At what age and time of year can Russian tortoise's breed? Because my friend has two which we think they are females (I'll post picks of them later and get your guy's opinion on there sex) but we are hoping to breed them but I was curious how old do they need to be and what time of year do they breed?

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
RE: At what age and time can Russian's breed?

I believe it more about their size vs age but I"ve never breed any tortoise so I'm not 100 percent sure.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
It not really about the age, its about size. Males mature at about 5" and female 6". They breed almost 3 weeks after they get out of hibernation.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
To start having any success the females will need to be around 6 inches. A huge factor is if they are cb or wildcaught because wildcaught animals grow much slower. And when you get the pics it should be easy to tell which one they are unless your friend got them as hatchlings then you guys should already know.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
GeoTerraTestudo said:
On average (WC and CB), how many years does it take a male to reach 5 inches SCL, and a female 6 inches SCL?

For WC the norm for imports is that 4-5 inch range. If it is the minimum at 4 inches then it could take at least a couple years to get to that 5 inch range for males 6 inch mark for females. Its a crapshoot for wildcaught tortoises though. I have russians that havent grown in years and some that have grown a few inches since being with me. CB russians grow much quicker and to get to 5 inches would probably take 3-4 years from hatchling and about the same for a female to get to 6 inches. I have only been keeping russians for about 10 years now so other members specifically those in Europe have probably had russians for way longer than that and would have more averaged out numbers for you.

JoeImhof

5 Year Member
"Time" is anytime of year, my females have laid in Sept, January, March, and just now in July.

If they are indoor torts, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.