Aspen Bedding

psobie

Location (City and/or State)
Round Lake Beach, IL
Another group is screaming NO ASPEN for bedding but I see here a lot of people use it.
I’d like opinions here. The other group said my Hermann’s neede high humidity and big mistake. He got a URI from that.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Aspen does not hold humidity well and attempting to raise humidity in an enclosure with aspen bedding will cause it to become mouldy. Aspen can also cause respiratory issues and irritate the tortoise’s eyes. Most here will advise against using aspen bedding, and instead opt for coco coir, cypress mulch, or orchid bark.

Also, high humidity won’t cause respiratory infections. Having a cold, damp enclosure will. When adding water to the substrate you need to keep the enclosure warm otherwise you aren’t making the enclosure humid, you’re just making it wet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see anyone on this forum using aspen bedding for tortoises. . . maybe for snakes, but not tortoises.

Not HIGH humidity for your Hermanni but some.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Another group is screaming NO ASPEN for bedding but I see here a lot of people use it.
I’d like opinions here. The other group said my Hermann’s neede high humidity and big mistake. He got a URI from that.
I agree with Yvonne. I've not seen anyone here using or recommending aspen bedding for a tortoise. Its way to dry.

Hermanni don't need high humidity. They need moderate humidity. URIs are typically caused by chronically low temperatures, not humidity.