Are they getting ready to lay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stev0623

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I've got a question as this is a first to me.

I've got 3 females that are of "egg" size (10', 11" and 13" respectively), 2 of which have stopped eating like they used to (had them for 6ish months and they usually GORGE). They've started pacing around the pen and I'm honestly at a loss. The third female has been eating pretty normally, but I've noticed when she settles down in the pen, or in the night time enclosure, she's always in a corner "butt first".

At a loss, maybe they're adjusting to the temp changes recently.. Who knows? (You do, that's why i asked!)

Could I be on my way to my first clutch?:D

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
Do you have a male in with them? Pacing and not eating are a sign of a red-foot about to lay a clutch. I would assume she is just adjusting to your new place if she hasn't been exposed to a male within the last 5 years, or so. Females can carry sperm for many years until conditions are suitable to lay. They can also lay infertile eggs on a regular basis without being exposed to a male. If she does lay a clutch, then only time will tell if they're fertile, or not. Keep an eye on her and keep us updated. Nests are sometimes impossible to find.

-Matt

Stev0623

5 Year Member
Matt, she is exposed to a male all the time. I wouldn't say she is adjusting to the new place, they've all been there for months. I'm not sure though, I'm defiantly open to listening to oppinions

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Ok, she could be ready to lay. She's definitely showing all of the signs. Red-foots can take years to acclimate to a new place, so sometimes "months" aren't long enough. Go get her x-rays, I usually x-ray my females if I think they're close to laying. This will help to know if she is gravid. Sometimes they'll want to lay, but they are calcium deficient. The eggs will bind inside and will not exit the body. A good herp vet can determine the state of the eggs. Good luck!

-Matt

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It does sound like the 2 larger females are gravid to me. :) Do they have a place to nest in the enclosure?

Danny

Stev0623

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
It does sound like the 2 larger females are gravid to me. :) Do they have a place to nest in the enclosure?

Danny

Danny, I'm not positive what would classify as a "good" place? I've got spahgnum moss in every corner for them to dig in.

Stev0623

5 Year Member
Went out there earlier, and noticed that all of them were out(my enclosure has a ramp that I put down, and they typically find their own way out), except one (one of the females in question).

Here is how she looked;

35895db0.jpg

81536a2d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.