are these weeds ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix Arizona
Hello,
these are the three main types of weeds that grow in my yards. can you let me know if they are ok for Shorty and Duma to eat? What are some things to look for that will tell me if a week is not ok? if they are ok then i plan on adding them to their already varied diet :)
thanks guys and gals!

plant #1
DSCF3648.jpg

plant #2
DSCF3649.jpg

plant #3
DSCF3650.jpg

ill try to get a better one of this one if its to blurry.

ps you can see a little of plant #3 in the pic of plant #2.... hope that isn't confusing...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed 1 and 2 all the time. Don't know #3. I think 1 is called milk weed. Many people mistake it for dandelion. I think #2 is hawskbeard. Mine will eat it, but its not their favorite.

Does number three get those little pineapple shaped flowers? I think it might be pineapple weed. Pluck some and roll/smush it up between your thumb and forefinger and smell it. Pineapple weed has a sweet, almost pineapple smell to it. If this is what it is, it is okay for them to eat, but they probably won't pick that one first.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Unfortunately, I'm not good at identifying weeds/plants. Many people on here are great at it.
Since I don't have that ability, I use http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk. If I can't find what I'm looking for in their database, I take a picture and email to them. They usually answer my email within a day.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Tom said:
I feed 1 and 2 all the time. Don't know #3. I think 1 is called milk weed. Many people mistake it for dandelion. I think #2 is hawskbeard. Mine will eat it, but its not their favorite.

Does number three get those little pineapple shaped flowers? I think it might be pineapple weed. Pluck some and roll/smush it up between your thumb and forefinger and smell it. Pineapple weed has a sweet, almost pineapple smell to it. If this is what it is, it is okay for them to eat, but they probably won't pick that one first.

thank you Tom! I am going to start adding more weeds to their diet :). Ill check weed number 3 and let you know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.