Any way to help a 100-year old Galapagos injured and on display in Tahiti?

jsj

Hi,

Not so much a turtle person, but I came across an injured Galapagos turtle while I was traveling in Tahiti last week and wanted to see if anyone can help.

I encountered an injured Galapagos turtle on display in the Harrison Smith Botanical Gardens in Tahiti. The turtle had dirty bandages on both front legs. It's front right leg was bent in an awkward direction (see photo). It's head/neck were outstretched and resting on the ground motionless. We came back several times over the course of a couple hours and the tortoise had not moved. There was another tortoise in the enclosure which was feeding and appeared healthy.

Apparently, the tortoise is more than 100 years old (http://www.tahitiguide.com/@en-us/3/85/804/article.asp). Given it's advanced age and protected status, I wanted to see if there's any way to assist the tortoise. Unfortunately, there are very few English-language resources regarding animal welfare in Tahiti.

Anyway, let me know if you have any ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_7832.jpg
    IMG_7832.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7802.jpg
    IMG_7802.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 77

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Did you talk to anyone (thumps self on forehead - duh, no English speaking in the area) ...nevermind.

That's the way those guys sleep. I have two Aldabran tortoises over 200lbs, and they also sleep like that - for long periods of time.

A Galop of that size is a very big (money-wise) asset/investment for anyone to have and I'm sure, if the tortoise is injured, that they are doing everything they can to get him well.

I think you should just put it out of your mind, and try to believe that they have the tortoise's best interest in mind.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Any idea how it got injured?

Yvonne is right! Looks like that is only thing we can do. Best wish to this old fellow.

jsj

Did you talk to anyone (thumps self on forehead - duh, no English speaking in the area) ...nevermind.

That's the way those guys sleep. I have two Aldabran tortoises over 200lbs, and they also sleep like that - for long periods of time.

A Galop of that size is a very big (money-wise) asset/investment for anyone to have and I'm sure, if the tortoise is injured, that they are doing everything they can to get him well.

I think you should just put it out of your mind, and try to believe that they have the tortoise's best interest in mind.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Thanks for the response. Yeah unfortunately I don't speak French there's very little English spoken there...the lady at the desk had no idea what I was talking about. Glad to hear that's the way they sleep. Hopefully he's being taken good care of. Thanks again!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
He looks good . The bandages look clean . The tortoise is a animal that loves to be dirty so keeping a bandages that white is very hard to do . You should see how my sulcata sleeps arms and legs all out . Neck looks broken stretched out .

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Mmmmm mmmmm look at that hoodensis. Super endangered species of Galapagos. Sure hope he's ok, and they change bandages. But definitely looks like a normal relaxing, sleeping galap to me.