Any Ideas on Origin??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I hope these are visible.
I am just about to pick up this Greek trio. They were not entirely planned but a friend decided to reduce his numbers so I decided to take them on.
I would love any comments on a possible origin?
I assume they are not the European type Greeks due to their colour but how else can I make an educated guess on a possible origin?
I assume too that hibernation is perhaps not wise with this type?
Any comments really appreciated.
They are about 4 yrs old and the 2 females are about 4 inches and the male 5 inches.
When I get them I can take photos of their under sides if it helps any?
Thanks

Greeks.jpg

GreekMale.jpg

GreekMale2.jpg

GreekFemale.jpg

Greekfemale2.jpg

LighterGreekfemale.jpg

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on these Greeks?
(I can't wait for an answer-worse than a kid waiting for some fun mail!!)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am horrible at IDing greeks, but they look nice, maybe a bit dry to my eye.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
dmmj said:
I am horrible at IDing greeks, but they look nice, maybe a bit dry to my eye.

They got soaked once a week but no water bowls provided. I may soak and offer the water too as most of my tortoises so far will use one through their own choice.
Do you think they may be a bit dehydrated?
I get them tomorrow and I can't wait to see them.:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If they don't have access to a water bowl and once a week soak, then it is more than likely they are a little dehydrated. Nothing serious I would imagine.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
dmmj said:
If they don't have access to a water bowl and once a week soak, then it is more than likely they are a little dehydrated. Nothing serious I would imagine.

I have recently read in a few places that owners of Gold Greeks don't leave water for them for 2 reasons
1 They don't appear to use it
and
2 they worry about creating too much humidity

However, I think I will still leave some so they can choose whether or not to use it. Even my tiny Hermanns babies will walk through their little dish and drink-seen them many times.

redbeef

5 Year Member
those are beauties...wish i could be more help in IDing them ;)

I leave water in my greek's tortoisetable but, like you're saying, he doesn't seem to use it...only time i know that he did was when I first got him and he might have been a little dehydrated: i know he used it cuz he pooped in it. Since then, nothing really: he rarely even gets any substrate in it, so I know he's not very interested. I leave it in though, in case he wants to use it and the humidity here in inland Southern California is pretty low, so I'm not too worried about boosting it to 40-50% in part of his enclosure. He does enjoy his weekly soaks though :)

congrats on your new guys

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
redbeef said:
those are beauties...wish i could be more help in IDing them ;)

I leave water in my greek's tortoisetable but, like you're saying, he doesn't seem to use it...only time i know that he did was when I first got him and he might have been a little dehydrated: i know he used it cuz he pooped in it. Since then, nothing really: he rarely even gets any substrate in it, so I know he's not very interested. I leave it in though, in case he wants to use it and the humidity here in inland Southern California is pretty low, so I'm not too worried about boosting it to 40-50% in part of his enclosure. He does enjoy his weekly soaks though :)

congrats on your new guys
Thanks I have not got them yet-My hubby picking them up tonight so I need to be patient for a few more hours here!:rolleyes:
Yes, my humidity is pretty low here anyway(50% today which is a lot higher than normal for Winter) so water dish won't really cause a problem.
Thanks for your comments

Will Plastron Photos help with identification????
I can take some later if it will??

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.