Any ideas for enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greendaytj

5 Year Member
This is is my indoor inclosure and I'm also going to get an outdoor one for summer. But it seems vey plain. Does anyone have any ideas to make it more fun? I also have to keep a cover over the top because of my cats:/ so I can't have anything in there that is tall

Attachments

• image-3417943565.png
    image-3417943565.png
    902.9 KB · Views: 96

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi there greendaytj:

Did you ever decide what you'd like us to call you?

The sides of your habitat seem very low to me. It seems like the tortoise could climb right out if he tried.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Welcome :)
I agree that the sides are a bit short.
Not much to make it "fun" but you can add a few plants, maybe add some rock slabs, you can make a bridge/ramp for him to go up and down on when he is bored and to get him some exercise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What if you switched your box out for one of the larger, higher side totes. They don't cost much, around $30.00 or so. Then you would have a little more space to add interest, like a second level, a hill to climb or maybe even a natural log to climb on and under, without the worry of him getting out. I used a box like yours when I first got my leopard, a lot of people recommend them, however I hated it, did not work good for keeping in anything like, heat, humidity and no room for having anything raised much. Just a thought for you to consider.

greendaytj

5 Year Member
I agree that the side are short but there's no way she could get out because there's always this cover on. Oh and you can call me Tricia. And I am from Ohio.

Attachments

• image-112253654.png
    image-112253654.png
    918.4 KB · Views: 41

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You could have different areas with different types of substrate. Some real plants, like a small hosta and some pretty pansies, a rose moss would work, a patho vine and have it draped over the half log hide to make it a hidden retreat. Even just having an old stick for climbing over would add something. Perhaps a small colorful ball. One she can't bite into. ;) :D

Even just toss in some seeds like greens or vines like a muskmelon. They add some interst and she may end up eating them, but who cares, right?

Adding a colorful waterdish also helps add some visual appeal to it for us humans.

greendaytj

5 Year Member
Yeah I was thinking of doing something she can climb on because today she was really hyper and was trying to climb on top of her log. I was worried that she would flip!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i think it could use more moisture.
the bowls could be sunk down so she doesnt have to climb into them, and maybe a different substrate in one half.
How long have you had her? she is already showing signs of pyrimiding..

greendaytj

5 Year Member
Laura said:
i think it could use more moisture.
the bowls could be sunk down so she doesnt have to climb into them, and maybe a different substrate in one half.
How long have you had her? she is already showing signs of pyrimiding..

I have only had her for a year. She had that pyramiding before I got her. I got her from a petsmart that wasn't taking very good care of her

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
She is lucky to have found you.
Now that you do have her, she would benefit from a moister substrate on one side; even topsoil (organic), or topsoil mixed with coir. You could separate the substrates with a row of rocks, for example. That variation gives her some choices. Sinking the water dishes is a good idea too.

Status
Not open for further replies.