ANOTHER RESCUE

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Received a call last night regarding a man that found a large brown colored tortoise roaming loose near the Everglades.

DSCN1742.JPG IMG_5662.JPG DSCN1704.JPG DSCN1710.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's just plain scary (for the tortoises). I wonder how many 'wild' sulcatas there are in the everglades now.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That's just plain scary (for the tortoises). I wonder how many 'wild' sulcatas there are in the everglades now.

747117wei24kafiu.gif
I was wondering the same thing.

It's the season Grego. Gotten 4 over the last week. One of them made headline news, and unfortunately was reunited with their owner that had it in an unsuitable backyard and kept getting out.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I was wondering the same thing.

It's the season Grego. Gotten 4 over the last week. One of them made headline news, and unfortunately was reunited with their owner that had it in an unsuitable backyard and kept getting out.

* I think it is going to get worse with the economy failing again!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
* I think it is going to get worse with the economy failing again!
The economy is failing? I haven't noticed at all here. But it is sad when they get released or people can't take of them anymore. What I'm seeing is an increase in turn over of people that are early baby boomer age, that can't take care of them anymore. Anyways. Great thing your doing for all these guys Greg. Maybe I should open up a facility down there and we can spearhead a sanctuary there. Call it big boys shelled saviors. Lol

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Kelly are you seeing a whole lot here in Texas? I would love to start something down near El Campo. Lots of good land for sale in the Nada area. Cheap too. Worth looking into I suppose. Are there any rescues down south that are worth looking into?

turtlelou

5 Year Member
So are these wild or released pets? Pardon my ignorance, but if they are wild can they stay in the Everglades?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They are released pets.

The weather is mild enough in Florida that they can probably live there in the wild. Occasionally it freezes, but if the tortoise digs down into the ground he could probably live though a mild freeze.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

turtlelou

5 Year Member
That's amazing they can live there wild though. It is very sad these are released pets. What a beautiful tortoise. It's shell is not the smoothest, but still a beautiful tort!

Turtlepete

South Florida
I couldn't see native populations of sulcata's ever getting established that well….A typical winter in central Fl is probably 30's, but it can get down into the teen's. My uncle's house had light snow overnight once, in central FL, imagine that. Perhaps the big guys could survive a night like that, but the little ones? Nope. So there is never going to be a reproducing population of them, I don't think.
Although it wouldn't surprise me if sulcata's start attacking people in their beds just like our invasive burmese pythons, so we might have to ban sulcata's because they are a danger to the public, obviously. Who knows, maybe one will even eat an alligator!
Notice my heavy sarcasm. ;).

Good job on the rescue! I'm sure he'll be happy with you!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man why why why can't this happen to me? Everybody that gives me a turtle they have found is either a red ear or snapping turtle .

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Poor guy! Well, I'm glad he found his way to you. Keep us posted on what happens to him.

May
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
That's a pretty tortoise. And I hear ya Mike, people send me pictures of sliders and other water turtles and ask me if I want them....Umm no thanks, not my setup lol. I'd have a hard time turning one of these down though, or at least keeping it until I found it a suitable home.