Another questions about babies outside

Jenblalock003

Ok so it's 75 in New Orleans high of 77. I read toms rule of thumb about if you can wear a T-shirt and shorts than it's ok for them. Thing is it is a little windy since I live by a lake...18 mph of south winds. It's partly cloudy partly sunny. Can they done out for 20 min? Is that ok?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What will they be in? On flat open ground, or wet grass, it could get cool. In a tub or some sort of enclosure with sides, like a kiddie pool, the wind will be mostly blocked, and they should stay warm and toasty.

I would put mine out at 75 and partly sunny in a dry enclosure with that wind. Use your temp gun to check the ground temps and their carapace temps.

Jenblalock003

Tom said:
What will they be in? On flat open ground, or wet grass, it could get cool. In a tub or some sort of enclosure with sides, like a kiddie pool, the wind will be mostly blocked, and they should stay warm and toasty.

I would put mine out at 75 and partly sunny in a dry enclosure with that wind. Use your temp gun to check the ground temps and their carapace temps.

Will do Tom! I will put them in a tub to block any wind. Ty once again!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Jen I live in Houma and mine are out today. Like Tom said as long as it's not a exposed wet bottomed enclosure they will be just fine. I have several cement tubs from Lowes than I sun mine in and the walls prevent them from getting any significant wind.

Jenblalock003

diamondbp said:
Jen I live in Houma and mine are out today. Like Tom said as long as it's not a exposed wet bottomed enclosure they will be just fine. I have several cement tubs from Lowes than I sun mine in and the walls prevent them from getting any significant wind.

That's a good idea! Yea I just tried and it was way too windy but think that's bc my tub is too small. I'll go get a bigger one and that way the wind won't be too bad. I think I screwed up too bc I put some coconut coir in the tub n of course it's flying around. You just let them sit in the tub? Like without anything in there?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can also position the tub on the side of the house away from the wind and in the sun.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Jenblalock003 said:
diamondbp said:

That's a good idea! Yea I just tried and it was way too windy but think that's bc my tub is too small. I'll go get a bigger one and that way the wind won't be too bad. I think I screwed up too bc I put some coconut coir in the tub n of course it's flying around. You just let them sit in the tub? Like without anything in there?

I place some food in case they want to eat but nothing other than that. I don't leave them in there all day though. I simply give them an hour or so of sunlight before I have a to leave for work.
Later in the year when it's consistently warmer I will leave them in from morning to dusk with a layer of moist cypress mulch at the bottom and one side of the tub covered for extra shade. I actually will place the tub along a shadow line in my yard where one side of the tub stays in the shadow all day but the other warms up nicely so they can sun.
But again this time of year I wouldn't advise leaving them in all day because if a sudden rain shower would pop up it will be way to cold for a young tortoise. And being in Louisiana you can never be certain that a small rain storm won't pop up. So I would only allow outside time for your tortoise if you are available to supervise it.

Jenblalock003

diamondbp said:
Jenblalock003 said:
diamondbp said:

I place some food in case they want to eat but nothing other than that. I don't leave them in there all day though. I simply give them an hour or so of sunlight before I have a to leave for work.
Later in the year when it's consistently warmer I will leave them in from morning to dusk with a layer of moist cypress mulch at the bottom and one side of the tub covered for extra shade. I actually will place the tub along a shadow line in my yard where one side of the tub stays in the shadow all day but the other warms up nicely so they can sun.
But again this time of year I wouldn't advise leaving them in all day because if a sudden rain shower would pop up it will be way to cold for a young tortoise. And being in Louisiana you can never be certain that a small rain storm won't pop up. So I would only allow outside time for your tortoise if you are available to supervise it.

I got them right before the weather changed. I was able to take them out a few times before it got cold. Now they are 3 half mth and they aren't used to it. Kinda scared/excited at first. My boyfriend took them out yesterday for 35 min. And today is my only day off with nicer weather :( and all I wanted was to let them outside for an hour or so. I'm too scared right now to leave them out too long. So right niw it's 30 min or so on nice days. Luckily my boyfriend gets off at 2 everyday and can take them out when I'm working. And then when they get a little older I'll leave them out longer. But I prob scared the hell out of them a min ago so I'm doing to get a taller tub and then when my boyfriend gets home, I'll try it again. Thanks for your help! I know you are as excited as me that this cold weather stuff is gone!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What cold weather? Haven't seen any of that here in a long time...

:p

Jenblalock003

Tom said:
What cold weather? Haven't seen any of that here in a long time...

:p

It's been a rough winter Tom lol ppl in New Orleans are def not used to this stuff! But think we are in the clear now :) 75-80 and 85 percent humidity I'll take it :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love your weather most of the year! I was in Shreveport two weeks ago. Cold and rainy. Had me some Canes! I love that peppery delicious dipping sauce, and that bread is like eating a slice of heaven... And don't for get the sweet tea! LOVE the sweet tea.

Jenblalock003

Tom said:
I love your weather most of the year! I was in Shreveport two weeks ago. Cold and rainy. Had me some Canes! I love that peppery delicious dipping sauce, and that bread is like eating a slice of heaven... And don't for get the sweet tea! LOVE the sweet tea.

Haha it's good to visit the South sometimes and right now it's Mardi Gras time!