ANOTHER QUESTION FOR JUV STAR OWNERS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sacramento california
Is it normal for a baby star at nite to come out of his hide and kinda sit at the edge of exposure to where he can get red light thats heatn him?

turtletania

5 Year Member
mine are hopeless at sitting UNDER the light....they sit anywhere near it..... but only under it sometimes... so I think that is normal. One other forum regular told me it could possibly be that the light was too low...mine isn't too low.... could that be the problem with yours? Just a thought!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Does the tort spend all night under/near the red light? Most torts bask in the morning or evening, it is possible that the red light, simulating dusk/dawn, draws them to basking but if it doesn't turn off they don't 'realize' that night ever comes... Another possibility is it may be too cool in the hide at night. Try getting a temp reading inside the hide when the tort is 'basking'. If it is too cool, try bumping up the heat in that area or lessening the night drop. If the temp is OK, try turning off the red light before all ambient light is gone for the evening & see if the tort returns to the hide.

The only downside I can see from spending all night under the night light is the drying effect and the potential problems that may bring.

HTH,

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
actually i keep a heat pad under my plastic tote but not directly under his hide but close enuf that his hide isnt cold but this morning at seven thirty i woke to turn on my t-5's and turn off red light and he was still out all the way this time kinda undre grass that i have in a planter in there but still near the entrance to his hide,first after waking i turn on t5's and turn off red then after i let him regulate to a lil lite then after an hour or two i turn on a stronger basking lite and wind down at nite the same way by turning of basking and jus run t5's then turn them off to go to sleep and on again wit the red at nite,

at first i thought maybe hes jus gettn used to me more lately and thats why he chooses to sleep out under red light instead of being in the safety of his hide.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It's very possible. My stars and leopards move around at night, they try to get to where it's warmer it seems. Tortoises generally hide a lot when they're in new surroundings and will become more comfortable after awhile. Your thinking may be right.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
i keep the temps up at night bcuz it gets so cold that when i used to wake up id reach in his hide and hed be cold to the touch i didnt like how cold he was getting,so i keep his plastic tote in my indoor greenhouse and i close it up at around sumtime before i go to sleep,i stay up late online,i keep the red light on when its especially cold and like i said i have an undertank heatmat,i didnt like how it was directly under his hide cuz im still weery about the effects of too much heat from underneath wich at time it did get a lil hot in his hide so now i jus keep it under the tote butnot directly under his hide jus off to the side to where things stay toasty,and when i keep the red light on inside there at night it keeps it warm and humid cuz theres also cactus and pumpkin ect growing in there,i allways mention my indoor green house if anyone is curious as to wut i mean google homebox XL. I love it. Its so easy to keep up temps in winter,im hoping its ok on heat in summer havent had it that long.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello SILVERSTAR - I use a CHE 24/7, my two stars will sit underneath it for short periods through out a day but at night they like to start their sleep pattern by starting off just on the perimeter of the ceramic, after digging down in substrate, and at some point in the night they will move either undercover or sleep on the ramp to the second level but still close to heat source - Leanne

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
thanks neal and leanne,im jus trying to get a feel for these guys cuz all ive ever owned as far as turtle/tort was box turtles and they are alotta dif,so im glad that the behavior i observe is at least going on wit other star even if its not so called normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.