Another newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

13Fox150

5 Year Member
Hi all, my family and I are from wherever the Army sends me which means Kansas for now. We just welcomed a new baby Red Foot and are all excited about it. My daughter named it Darwin after the Guinea Pig in "G-Force" not the naturalist from the Beagle. I'm new to Torts but not reptiles, and have been lurking around here for a while soaking up all the good information.

Justin

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Justin:

613227z88go9iasj.gif

WELCOME to the forum!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome. I worked on that movie. I helped with the background animals in the pet shop scenes.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Welcome! Redfoots are amazing little torts! Don't be afraid to ask me, or post on the RF topic area, with any questions you may have about raising them :D

13Fox150

5 Year Member
Here is a pic of the new little guy. I'm not sure of his(?) age but he is quite small. He easily fits in the palm of my hand.

Right now he is housed in a 75g aquarium. I know there are mixed feelings about tortoises and aquariums but it's what I had from my days as an avid fish keeper. I am using Repti-bark as a substrate and use large driftwood covered in moss as a hide. I have a heating pad under the hide and a heat lamp, as well as a UVB bulb but after reading some other posts I am questioning the UVB.

Attachments

• 100_0439.jpg
    100_0439.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 17

muddled

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Welcome! And what a cute little tortoises!

From what I hear, even though aquariums aren't recommended as the best enclosures for tortoises, they're particularly good for redfoots because they do a great job at keeping the humidity up. Bark isn't a great substrate (I'm sure someone will chip in and explain more on that) but sphagnum moss is a great replacement. I keep mine under a 5.0 UVB bulb.

13Fox150

5 Year Member
Roachman26 said:
Welcome. I worked on that movie. I helped with the background animals in the pet shop scenes.

That's awesome. My daughter loved the movie and my wife and I enjoyed it too. It's one of those "great for the whole family" sort of shows. Great job!

13Fox150

5 Year Member
Well we have only had him a few days but so far he's had fresh greens and some "Tortoise Bites" that the store recommended. I'm pretty sure I'm doing away with the bites and I'm picking up some powdered calcium carbonate tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.