Animal lover new to tortoises. Thinking hard about getting a sulcata

j_diggs

Hi all,

I'm a pet lover (wife and I have 2 rescued cats and 2 rescued dogs). Recently we've been thinking of getting a tortoise, as we're moving to a house with a fenced yard and more room to accommodate one.
I have always been absolutely fascinated by giant tortoises and sea turtles, and I'm very interested in getting a sulcata, but I realize they are a serious, long-term undertaking, and want to make sure I'm making a good choice.

About us: we live in New Orleans. I'm a physician (just graduated!) and my wife is a librarian, and we are very serious about caring for our pets long term.
Is there any advice you might have for me? Is a sulcata too advanced/ too difficult? Is there another large tortoise that is easier to handle? I'd really prefer one that grows to a large size.

Thanks very much,
Josh

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello Josh (and wife) and Welcome. Good to have you here.

If you are thinking to getting a tortoise but you already have couple dogs. I recommended you go through below link first.

This is a very serious decision. Please read:

Another dog story

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-dog-story.45850/

Again! Good to have you here

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations, a sully,is a great tortoise.Whether you get a hatchling,or rescue one who needs a home.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Josh welcome to the TFO from AZ . You don't have to have a tort to belong to the TFO . Dogs and torts don't mix , dogs see torts as large. Chew toys ! Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Josh, and welcome to the Forum!

I think a sulcata is exactly what you're looking for. They're personable and a whole lot of fun to have. But take bouabou's warning seriously. Once the tortoise is large enough to go live outside, provide either a run for the dogs, or a safe, dog proof yard for the tortoise.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I have both a tortoise, not a sulcata though, and a dog but they never mix. You have your location going for you. This is a great place to learn and to acquire your tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A sulcata will suit you just fine. You might also look into South African Leopard tortoises. They get bigger than the regular leopards, but have a personality more like a sulcata. They also do not have the destructive or digging tendencies of the sulcata.

Some threads for you to peruse:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

j_diggs

Thanks everybody for the thoughtful feedback!
I definitely need to consider the aspect of dogs (one is a great dane, the other a cocker spaniel) and the logistics of keeping them separate, etc. I also have to look into their care, cost of feeding, etc.
@Tom thanks so much for those great links. They look extremely helpful and I'm excited to read up.

Does anybody have any leads on tortoise adoption in the Louisiana area? I saw several in Florida, but of course something closer would be ideal.

I'll post back with additional questions.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If I was looking for a large Tortoise I would love to have an Aldabra. I love them, but I do not have the space, and I really don't live in the right climate. But if I did I would be all over that!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There is at least one breeder of them here on the forum. He posts pictures all the time, which just makes me want one more! I know they are expensive and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a waiting list but I would certainly go forward if I could.

Mother of Tamara

Alberta, Canada
I think the warnings you've received are all valid ones for mixing dogs cats and torts, so consider the age and nature of the dogs, are they bouncy are they laid back? is there anyway to introduce the animals before committing?

j_diggs

Everybody has been incredibly helpful. After weighing all of the factors, I think it'd be smart for me to hold off on a tortoise for a little while.
My great Dane is pretty nosy and would be a handful around the tortoise, so I'd need to get a really good enclosure to separate them.
Also, I'm thinking I'd prefer a breed like the aldabra that doesn't dig and is a bit more docile, but still giant. For that I'll need to wait until I save up some money ;-)
I don't want to get a sulcata and then regret it.

I'll definitely keep everybody posted when things change!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
so consider the age and nature of the dogs, are they bouncy are they laid back? is there anyway to introduce the animals before committing?

The age and nature of the dog does not matter. Old laid back dogs will still sometimes chew up a tortoise and young bouncy ones will sometimes choose not to. The point is: Do NOT leave it chance. Don't ever let the dog make this choice one way or the other. Never let any dog near any tortoise unsupervised.

The concept of "introducing them" is a mistake too. They need no introduction. They are not going to be "friends" and hang out. The dog needs to be taught to leave the tortoise alone and not go near it at all time. I like to pretend the tortoise is a rattlesnake and teach the dog accordingly. If the dog stays well away from the tortoise, and has no access to it, no "accidents" can ever happen.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think your decision to wait is a smart one. You certainly have the right climate for an Aldabra when the time comes. Good luck to you.