Ammonium urate crystal

E*G+B

Location (City and/or State)
East Sussex
Yeah she didn't say how often she bathed him and there wasn't water in his enclosure but she had tortoises for years but that is possible I guess. However I don't have any way of finding out. I will just have to hope he gets back to his normal nosey lively self. And he will be going back to vets if anything else comes up or if I think he isn't getting better. Thanks for your help

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Ehh, having tortoises for years in my opinion doesnt mean much. We've seen many members that adopt tortoises from others and the tortoise is in bad condition from being raised poorly for many years. Either they had one tortoise or many. But I'm glad to have been able to help some. Let us know how Bruno does :) Maybe hes just sore so he just wants to rest for awhile.

E*G+B

East Sussex
Yeah he has been having some medicine this week to help him go to the toilet as the stone blocked him up. Maybe this medicine makes him tired. But hopefully he will be better soon. Thanks for your help. I know where to come if anything else happens but hopefully won't need to as fingers crossed he will get better and nothing else will come up

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Yup ! medicine does have some effect on tortoises. But your next post will be pictures of him running around and eating like no tomorrow ! :)

E*G+B

East Sussex
Hi,
I've just read it thanks for sending it.
I don't think it is the same thing as Bruno doesn't have any bumps or swollen skin and things like that.
His urates were all normal before the rock came out and are after it came out.
I was maybe going to buy a water test kit do you think that would be possible that it has a high ammonium level? That could be only only thing I can think of
Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi,
I don't think it is the same thing as Bruno doesn't have any bumps or swollen skin and things like that.
I was maybe going to buy a water test kit do you think that would be possible that it has a high ammonium level? That could be only only thing I can think of
Thanks
I think it's very unlikely that your water supply in Sussex is to blame. Southern water would be in dead trouble if there was excessive ammonia.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Hi guys.
Ive just been reading the post here and sounds similar to my case. Neds xray showed no sign of kidney stones at the vet but 11 days later he passed 4 stones in his pee (largest was 1cm by 1cm by 1cm). I was afraid they were kidney stones so i called the vet again. She said they could not be kidney stones as they didnt show on xray and could not have formed in the 11 days since xray.

Ned had been dehydrated when i brought him to the vet and she feels that these stones were uric acid deposit build up that was in his system and because he was now being bathed regularly (2-3 times a day) and had been hydrated with saline by the vet that he was able to pass them.

You are soaking your hermans tort E*G+B and giving him access to water but how long have you had him? Is there a chance he didnt have access to water or was dehydrated before you got him and is only able to get rid of these uric acid stones now that he is being better hydrated like mine did?

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Hi,
Thanks

Hi again. The swelling in my torts case was a result of a kidney infection and lack of protein. They were the symptoms which sent me looking for a vet but.... I was not aware at all that he was dehydrated as he has always had access to water and urates had been normal.
The stones my tort passed were directly related to his dehydration . Its connected to the idea that torts dont pee unless they have access to more water to replace it. He was holding onto these stones or was noy able to flush them from his system. He only expelled them when his hydration level improved and was being soaked numerous times dailly.

E*G+B

East Sussex
Hi, thanks for your reply.
I've had him since he was one month old and he's now one and a half years old. Would that effect him now if he didn't have water back then? He wees quite a bit in or out of water.
He's only ever had the one stone that was very large for his size.
He always has water and I see him drink whenever he has a bath or in his water bowl in his enclosure.
The test result came back as it being ammonium so would it have came back as Uric acid if it was to do with that?
He seems a bit more awake the last hour going round looking at the news paper (which will be changed as soon as the soreness goes down) maybe because yesterday was his last medicine day.
Thanks

E*G+B

East Sussex
Hi.
Thank you for all your replies.
Just to let you know Bruno seems a lot more himself. He was up before me this morning and hasn't stopped all day so he's definitely getting back to himself. Think the medicine maybe had an effect on him and made him tired.
So it seems to be going well, just worrying I can't find out exactly what it was but maybe now he's seem better I can have a decent night sleep and might not have as much worry.
Thanks for your help