Air conditioning and torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Now that we're getting to the hot and sticky season, anybody have observations on how A/C affects their torts? My juvenile CDTs are still sleeping inside at night, as it's damp in the yard in the night and early mornings here. We put on the AC at night to get the house around 70 for sleeping. Seems like a good temp for my sleeping CDTs as well, but I noticed Gomez yawning a little today and started to wonder.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It typically is a bad reaction. I have an AC unit in one of my tortoise buildings. I rarely use it. It creates a very cool, very very dry ambient gradient in that building. The tortoises left in that building that don't go outside absolutely do not like it. So I haven't used it in a very long time. If I ever do use it. I break out multiple humidifiers to counteract the dryness it puts in the room of the building.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How damp is damp? Dew... and rain for that matter... is entirely natural and torts do have to contend with it in the wild. They are experts at finding the best places to sleep.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Unfortunately it's not rain or dew, but a heavy layer of moisture in the air that rolls in from the Pacific after midnight this time of year and lingers till midday. As they're desert torts native to an area further inland, it's not something they encounter in the wild like a rainstorm. We're almost done with this odd and gloomy Coastal California season, and I think I should be able to let them stay outside overnight within a week or so. But in the meantime, the human man in the household wants his AC. So here I sit, trying to keep all the beloved species happy.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Air conditioning and torts

thatrebecca said:
Unfortunately it's not rain or dew, but a heavy layer of moisture in the air that rolls in from the Pacific after midnight this time of year and lingers till midday. As they're desert torts native to an area further inland, it's not something they encounter in the wild like a rainstorm. We're almost done with this odd and gloomy Coastal California season, and I think I should be able to let them stay outside overnight within a week or so. But in the meantime, the human man in the household wants his AC. So here I sit, trying to keep all the beloved species happy.

Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.