Agression in tortoises

tobyandlydia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
I understand that males can be aggressive towards females or potential threats etc, but I have a question ...

I have a friend who has a tortoise called Fred. Fred was brought up in an indoors enclosure. She says he hisses sometimes and acts slightly aggressive at people. He lives alone.
Our baby George has never shown this behaviour but i'm guessing it would show up a few years down the line anyway, not when he is just a baby. He's perfectly happy at the moment.
What should I do to make sure he doesn't end up like Fred? I want him to be comfortable around people, not bothered too much by the occasional handling etc.
Is there a secret to this?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I believe that tortoises have individual personalities, so some are naturally more aggressive or more friendly than others.
You just have to be gentle and kind. If the tortoise comes to understand that you are not going to eat him, are the food god and let him have his territory most of the time, George should become accustomed to being handled and may well end up liking his head being stroked, or neck scratched.
Poor Fred may have had some bad experiences in his youth or may just be naturally bad-tempered!
Be patient.
A happy tortoise doesn't mind a bit of handling and will hopefully come to enjoy it.
I am rubbing Tidgy's head as we speak and she is stretching in happiness.

tobyandlydia

5 Year Member
England
I believe that tortoises have individual personalities, so some are naturally more aggressive or more friendly than others.
You just have to be gentle and kind. If the tortoise comes to understand that you are not going to eat him, are the food god and let him have his territory most of the time, George should become accustomed to being handled and may well end up liking his head being stroked, or neck scratched.
Poor Fred may have had some bad experiences in his youth or may just be naturally bad-tempered!
Be patient.
A happy tortoise doesn't mind a bit of handling and will hopefully come to enjoy it.
I am rubbing Tidgy's head as we speak and she is stretching in happiness.
Okay great. That is so cute!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When a tortoise is startled he pulls in his legs and head. This causes the air to be squeezed out of his lungs and sounds like the tortoise hissed. He didn't actually hiss on purpose, it was just the air being forced out of his lungs by the legs and head quickly being pulled in.