agression between female red foot tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pochito

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
fort lauderdale
i have 4 adult female red foot and today i notice agression between 2 pf them, is it normal? there was biting, chasing and turning over

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its the time of year.. you may need a larger enclosure for them to share with lots of hides, or you may need to seperate them. They can bully each other into stress induced illness and prevent others from eating.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Ours have never been agressive, however they have plenty of room.

pochito

5 Year Member
fort lauderdale
their enclosure is 8'x24' and has 3 big hiding areas. they get plenty of food, water and sun.

Laura said:
its the time of year.. you may need a larger enclosure for them to share with lots of hides, or you may need to seperate them. They can bully each other into stress induced illness and prevent others from eating.

very nice collection!
I have:7 snakes,6 red foots,5 russian, a panther chameleon, 3 dogs and a cat

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
8' x 24' for 4 adults is not that big for 4 adults, especially if they share it with other torts but the real issue is territory. Dominant torts, male or female, will fight or block access to food, good basking sites, good hides, and so on. You may think all the sites look good, but they often have different opinions.

Do they seem to be fighting over a place?

pochito

5 Year Member
fort lauderdale
not sure if she's fighting over a place or food, it's just 1 female against the others. I bought her about 3 weeks ago and she laid eggs the same day i got her. By the way thank you for the input.

not sure if she's fighting over a place or food, it's just 1 female against the others. I bought her about 3 weeks ago and she laid eggs the same day i got her. By the way thank you for the input.

Geochelone_Carbonaria said:
My females get very agressive against everyone and everything (including me sometimes!) the weeks before they're ready to lay!

this female laid 4 eggs the same day I got her wich was 3 weeks ago

Status
Not open for further replies.