African Spurred Tortoise Parasites

efrey18

Hi! I recently adopted an African spurred tortoise 2 months ago. Since it's colder she stays inside. Lately she's been lethargic and crying out when going to the bathroom. I work at a vet and Doc said most likely crystals and to soak her every day instead of a couple times weekly. We also got fecal results back. She has a large number of intestinal flukes. I thought those parasites were for aquatic turtles? I'm not sure how she got them. Also, is putting the panacur in strawberries okay? I doubt she will eat it from her romaine. Also, any suggestions for other healthy veggies she can eat would be great. Right now she only likes romaine, endive, escarole and tomatoes. It's hard to get her to eat much else. She's estimated to be around 15 years and weighs about 11 lbs, or 5 kg. We do exotic work, but not to this extent so I just want to make sure she has the best life possible :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @efrey18 and a very warm welcome to the forum. :)

Torts do NOT like change, therefore it'll take your tort time to adapt. Patience necessary here. ;)

Please give your tort daily soaks in warm water, so as to avoid pyramiding and dehydration.

Any pics of your tort and her enclosure? ;)

Killerrookie

Hi! I recently adopted an African spurred tortoise 2 months ago. Since it's colder she stays inside. Lately she's been lethargic and crying out when going to the bathroom. I work at a vet and Doc said most likely crystals and to soak her every day instead of a couple times weekly. We also got fecal results back. She has a large number of intestinal flukes. I thought those parasites were for aquatic turtles? I'm not sure how she got them. Also, is putting the panacur in strawberries okay? I doubt she will eat it from her romaine. Also, any suggestions for other healthy veggies she can eat would be great. Right now she only likes romaine, endive, escarole and tomatoes. It's hard to get her to eat much else. She's estimated to be around 15 years and weighs about 11 lbs, or 5 kg. We do exotic work, but not to this extent so I just want to make sure she has the best life possible :)
Have you tried giving her variety of grasses and weeds that are edible? A diet of just lettuce and veggies isn't best for a sulcata to eat all the time

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome. Sounds like your Sully needs the TLC that you want to provide - good start by finding this Forum. Go read all of @Tom 's postings about how to care for and feed a sully. Temps, food, housing, lighting... Go to an international grocery store, ours sells wonderful fresh dandelion and cactus pads. Good luck, soak your tort too! Now.......start reading, and post pix.

efrey18

Thanks for the help, guys! Summer has been easy because I have a ton of dandilions and grasses outside but winter is more difficult. I have her in a giant pool with cypress mulch and uv/heat lamp but it doesn't seem the best and I'm trying to improve it. Here she is in her outdoor enclosure.

IMG_5523.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a really nice-looking sulcata. Yes, you can put the de wormer into a strawberry.

If you can stomach the mess, put the tortoise into the human bath tub with warm water that comes up to the middle of the tortoise's sides. Leave it in there for a half hour or more. Scrambling around in the tub, trying to get out, loosens up the bowels and they make quite a mess getting rid of all the pent up poop. They don't normally cry out when pushing out the poop, so the tortoise is probably constipated.

efrey18

Where do you guys keep yours in the winter (provided they are small enough to bring them in)? Any pictures? I'm not happy with the indoor enclosure and need ideas!

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
Most of us keep them outside year round at that size. You can find tons of information on the forum of how people are heating the enclosures. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478083584.804571.jpg

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hi Efrey18, when my sulcata was small he had an infestation of pinworms that was treated with panacur. I put the dosage on a couple of Mazuri pellets (softened by soaking in water). Once those had been consumed I fed out the rest of his food.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hope your baby will be OK!

Is the "African Spurred" the same as the Sulcata?