Advise now please! (egg in the water)

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
I was walking by my turtle enclosed earlier this morning and saw and was like : O wtf is this

image.jpg

Is that an egg? If so what should I do? Could it be a rock tha he ate a while ago that her finally passed some how?

Just been staring at it and looked around the bottom and saw more fragments but nothing alive tha I can tell cause I think he ate it already .....is this normal at all?

image.jpg

It is an egg but too late

I didn't know he was pregnant let alone a chick and why would they eat they're young?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Advise now please!

Some female water turtles will let eggs go in the water or on their landing dock. Just like chickens, turtles don't need male turtles in order to have eggs. Just because she pooped out an egg doesn't mean the egg had a baby in it. Nine times out of ten, when a non fertile egg is expelled the turtle will eat it.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
An egg is not a baby turtle, it is an egg. You can stop looking at your turtle like a baby eating monster now, :).

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I didn't know he was pregnant let alone a chick and why would they eat they're young?

*side cramping from the laughter here* :p

As said, he was not pregnant and turtles will eat nearly everything---even and egg that magically appeared....lol....

What do you get when you place two frogs in a tank---one larger frog...

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Lol but I wouldn't put it past my Myrtle to be an eating baby monster. I feel bad for anything that goes in her tank smaller than her.

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
Ok the LIL **** layed another egg. This one looks to be in a lot better condition but still has a slight crack and its on the bottom of the tank is there any chance these things can live or how many more he's got in him?

Dorrie Siu

*tee hee* How exciting!! My snake laid eggs but they looked like orange jelly beans. They dried up, shrunk down and got hard eventually.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Please forgive Mother Nature but water turtles will eat almost anything moving in the water including there baby's . As I've said they feel better alone don't put smaller turtles with bigger turtles cause little ones be come dinnr

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
An egg is not a baby turtle, it is an egg. You can stop looking at your turtle like a baby eating monster now, :).
Hahaha!! My female RES and 'male' YBS have both layed clutches of eggs recently, (they could've been fertile, I have a male, but I moved him out[but they weren't]) and for the start of their second cluct they both layed a couple in the water.. yummm..

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Ok the LIL **** layed another egg. This one looks to be in a lot better condition but still has a slight crack and its on the bottom of the tank is there any chance these things can live or how many more he's got in him?
She should be done now LOL What type of turtle do you have? They usually lay clutches. They can;t be fertile unless she was exposed to a male.

Tort-Rex

This exact thing happened with my turtles! But, we have four, and until one laid an egg, we thought they were all male.... So, we didn't even know which one laid the egg! Ours laid about 4 (one at a time) in the water and they were all eaten/cracked/squished... To find out which one laid the egg, we separated each of them and put them in separate containers w/ wet towels laid out on the bottom. But, as you may have guessed, no more eggs after that! And, we still don't know which one is female :rollseyes:
What type of turtle was it?

-Tort-Rex/Colleen

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
How long have you had the turtle and where did she come from? Also, is she kept with males now.

Female turtles, like many reptiles, can retain sperm for long periods of time, producing viable eggs as long as a year after being separated from males. I have two Spotted Turtle eggs that will hatch any day from a female that hadn't been with a male since last Summer.