Advice Please (Baby lunged at me)

Help2022

Location (City and/or State)
Milton Keynes MK35DX
I have a 4/5 month old Hermann tortoise named Norman, who is the cutest tortoise on the planet. He had a small piece of wood shaving sticking out of his mouth, so I tried to remove it. I think he was getting a bit frightened, and suddenly, he lunged towards my fingers. I wonder if he was trying to protect himself. Do baby tortoises do this.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Tortoises will headbutt as a way to defend themselves. This, and biting, appears to be some of their only ways to fight off intruders, and they will also do this to establish dominance to tortoises (Or just… General objects sometimes) within their territory (You will see videos floating about with tortoises ramming each other, or ramming other animals, or ramming people’s feet as the tortoise perceives these as intruders).

It is completely normal behaviour :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 4/5 month old Hermann tortoise named Norman, who is the cutest tortoise on the planet. He had a small piece of wood shaving sticking out of his mouth, so I tried to remove it. I think he was getting a bit frightened, and suddenly, he lunged towards my fingers. I wonder if he was trying to protect himself. Do baby tortoises do this.
That is pretty normal tortoise behavior.

The tortoise should not have access to wood shavings. Is that your substrate? If yes, it is time for a switch. More info here: