Advice on Leopard Tortoise PLEASE

Akdhjirn

Location (City and/or State)
Whittier
I have my leopard tortoise outside this winter with a heated enclosure that maintains 84 degrees fahrenheit. Today, the power to her heating system got cut off, leaving her for about 8 hours in ~50 degrees. Will this have any impact on her health? Is there anything should I do going forward to prevent sickness etc?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Are you keeping it warm now?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
How is it doing now?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
What is the temperature for the floor in the enclosure? I think your temps are too low. @Tom

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'd pop her into a warm soak for a while. You want to try and get her inner core warmed up...and a warm water soak would be great

Reactions: Ink

Akdhjirn

Whittier
What is the temperature for the floor in the enclosure? I think your temps are too low. @Tom
Not sure the temperature of the floor itself, the small house is made of wood and elevated a few inches above the ground. The temperature reader that I have set up is pretty low to the floor of the house and it normally fluctuates anywhere from 80-85 degrees

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have my leopard tortoise outside this winter with a heated enclosure that maintains 84 degrees fahrenheit. Today, the power to her heating system got cut off, leaving her for about 8 hours in ~50 degrees. Will this have any impact on her health? Is there anything should I do going forward to prevent sickness etc?
Was the outside temperature in your area 50, or did the interior of the box drop to 50? An insulated box should be able to hold most of its heat for 8 hours pretty well, so the damage may be minimal here.

Either way, all you can do is keep the tortoise warm now. I would bump the thermostat up a little bit for a while. I like mine set to 86 when we are having these cold winter spells like what we are having right now. Its 27 here as I type this. Very unusual, and it only gets that low here in Santa Clarita to your north, a couple of times a year. We will warm up to about 65 mid day today. You could set your thermostat to 88 just to be safe. Extra heat helps them recover from cold temps.