Advice on a new humid hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

killuchen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Port Richey, Florida
So, I'm getting my second CherryHead this coming Tuesday most likely and I was wondering if I can get some advice on a humid hide expansion for the 2. Should I buy another flower pot so there is 2 in my enclosure or should I buy a big plastic container, keep the lid on flip it over and cut 2 holes on the sides like I saw in one of Tom's humid hide threads?

I would also love some suggestions that have worked for you all :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Tom's humid hide idea is a really good one, probably more effective than an open pot on its side. If you have one of each, then they have the choice. You can keep the humid hide sprayed down, or wet sphagnum mos and wring it out and put it inside like Terryo does.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I've tried a lot of hides for my Red-foots, and the ones they like the best are 'snug hides', hides they can snuggle into and let them 'wedge in'. My personal favorites are ones I have made from bark stripped from a neighborhood tree, then cut to fit across the width of the hide. I prop up one end and they work their way in deep.

The humidity comes from the cypress substrate I use and heating cables under the substrate. I pour some water in and the cables heat the water to make warm vapor that rises and gets caught in the hide. (The cables are only under 1/2 of it to keep it from getting too warm.)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I used a plastic box (like a shoebox) for Ruby and Eddie's enclosure and I put moss inside of it, that worked well. They like to sleep next to each other and snuggle. :D For Dale I used to put a wet hand towel on top of his enclosure to keep in the humidity and that always worked well. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I found some new ones at Walmart. They are black dishwashing tubs for about $2.25. They work great. I just flip them upside down and cut out a door with a razor knife.

killuchen

5 Year Member
New Port Richey, Florida
Yea, I'll check it out. How often do you spray inside the hide? With my current flower pot on it's side I'm able to spray it with warm water daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.