Advice on 1st RF acquisition

liftingdachshunds

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Hello friends, I'm looking to get a redfoot after my Russian went with my partner to the east coast. I'll be adapting the care to the RF of course but I have a few options and would love a weigh-in.
What is a good age to get one for it to be safe to transport and adapt well to a new place/person? I'm worried about getting a baby (CB hatched 2021) as a new RF person but read a lot of people here have great experiences with babies. But, would a 4-6" juvenile be upset at the transition to a new place, PNW climate, and miss their previous herd? Just want to do what is best to have a happy tort pet!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I would buy an incubator, then hatch mine from eggs , usually. Very fun. Mabey we humans are spoiled. I found it pretty easy.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They won't "miss" the other tortoises. In fact a lone tortoise is the happiest tortoise.
However, care for a tropical species such as a Redfoot in the Pacific Northwest might be difficult. Not that it can't be done. And to answer the specific questions: Adults are easier to keep as a first time tortoise. But none of them do well if they're moved around. It's stressful.
Have you done your research about this species?

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello friends, I'm looking to get a redfoot after my Russian went with my partner to the east coast. I'll be adapting the care to the RF of course but I have a few options and would love a weigh-in.
What is a good age to get one for it to be safe to transport and adapt well to a new place/person? I'm worried about getting a baby (CB hatched 2021) as a new RF person but read a lot of people here have great experiences with babies. But, would a 4-6" juvenile be upset at the transition to a new place, PNW climate, and miss their previous herd? Just want to do what is best to have a happy tort pet!
Welcome to the forum. Any tort of any age & species is going to be unsure of its new environment (except maybe one you hatch) because they don't like change. Once they settle in & know there's food, water & a hide, they show more of their personality.

I've had my RF Houdini for almost a year. (Thank you, Maggie!!) He's about 4. He was a little upset with me when I changed out his soaking tub about a month ago because he outgrew the tub, meaning he could escape. But he's recovered enough to flash this huge penis the other day or maybe he's always done that but I can see it now because the new tub is clear. And he started pooping in the new soaking tub this week instead of the pen.

Anyway, read up on the care sheets, ask questions. It is a journey we all share.