Adult Sulcata Shell Care?

Moose

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Can anyone recommend a supplier for a tortoise shell conditioner that is sold in larger containers than 2.5 oz? With an adult Sulcata tortoise in the 175 lb range this size doesn't seem to fit the application! Lol.

On the same topic - are there any opinions on how often a conditioner should be used on an adult Sulcata shell?

As always the feedback and opinions are appreciated in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have never done anything other than squirt off Dudley with the hose. If he has mud or poop stuck on him I take a brush to him. They don't need any shell conditioner. But if you really feel YOU can't live without conditioning his shell, then buy cold pressed coconut oil. Apply it, rub it in, allow it to set for about 15 minutes to absorb, then polish it all off with a clean, absorbent cloth.

Moose

5 Year Member
Texas
Yvonne - Thank you for your reply and advice! I never thought shell conditioner was a required care task for my "Moose" but questioned if it offered an overall benefit of any kind or added comfort to an adult sulculta. With your feedback I will now think less about this topic and consider all parties happy - although I might go ahead and try your recommendation for the sake of being the best parent possible!

Thanks again.