A change in bed time, why?

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
I'm just wondering what can cause a tortoise to change the time it goes to sleep? Mine was in a routine of going to sleep around 4:30 or 5:00, and for the last week or so has been tucking in around 2:30 and seems to be quite awake when his lights come on at 8:00 in the morning, whereas before he'd still be buried.
I don't really have an issue with this, I just want to know if the change is telling me something and if so what? There is no light at night, just his Che. He's been in this enclosure for about a month and once he finally settled on a sleeping spot I did move his Che a little closer because I found it to be too cold there in the middle of the night, otherwise, nothing has changed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's hard to say. I wouldn't worry about it though. As long as he's eating and acting otherwise normally. He might be sensing something in the barometric pressure, like maybe it's going to rain or something like that.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
One more question though, when a tortoise does this, should you change their lighting accordingly, or leave it?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'd leave it. Changing it to fit might make it more permanent.
My russain does this sometimes, and since he always gobbles up his food and drinks water like a horse, I just go about my routine as normal, and he goes back to his 'normal' routine after a few days. Max was a week. :D