4 Month Sulcuta Wont Eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXTortoiseMommy

5 Year Member
Hi,
Im new to the forum I recently aquired a 4 month old Sulcuta Tortoise from a pet store. I got he/she about a week ago. the first two days it ate fine and seemed reltivly normal ( from what I know this is my first tortoise) and the past few days it hasnt done much but sleep it wont eat. I soak it once or twice a day for atleast 15 minutes in luke warm water. its under 15 hr a day UVB lighting at about 85 degrees. I need suggestions as to where to go from here im new to this and really wanna keep this kid alive.
-Emma

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Emma and welcome to the Forum!!

Please use our search feature and look up tortoise won't eat. We have talked about this problem quite a bit here on the forum. It is something that is quite common with new baby tortoises and new keepers.

The most common cause is the baby isn't warm enough. But take a look at what our members have had to say on the subject.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Your temps are 85 degrees? Is that under the light? Or, is that the overall temp in the enclosure? Your baby needs 4 different temps in the enclosure: hot/basking heat should be 100-105 degrees; your cool side should be no lower than 80 degrees, your hide temp should be between 90-95 degrees; your ambient should be around 80-85 degrees. You need to have a mercury vapor bulb (mvb) for uvb lighting. You can have it on for 12 hours a day. When you shut it off at night, you need another heat source without light. That's where a ceramic heat emitter (che) comes in. It provides the heat at night without light since torts can't sleep well with lights on. If you get the lighting and heating correct, your tort will be active and grow. Don't forget about humidity. Their enclosure should have at least 80% humidity. The best way to achieve this is to have a closed chamber or enclosure. Some have used large plastic containers with lids. The lid is used to cover about 3/4 of the top to hold in the heat and humidity better. You can alsoi buy a humidifier or fogger to help with humidity. You'll also need to have a good temp gun to measure current temps correctly. That's real important. Additionally, a simple gauge can be picked up at any pet shop so that you can monitor where the temp and humidity is at all times. Hope all this helps you.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Seems like your temps are off a little. In order for them to get things moving inside they need their temps to be warm. Like Sibi said..below my signature there are off some very helpful threads. I would suggest reading them. There are a lot of us here on this forum that following these guidelines..good luck...

TXTortoiseMommy

5 Year Member
Thanks guys I got some spring mix and some canned pumpkin and he is eating those when I mixed them together

TXTortoiseMommy

5 Year Member
Hopefully it continues this weekend I'm going to the exotic pet store to switch bedding. And get another heat bulb. Anything else I should get?

Status
Not open for further replies.