32 Snapper Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Hey guys,

Here's a quick video of my involvement with a Chelydra serpentina nest that was saved from a spot where dirt bikes and ATVs constantly rip up the soil. I received a call from a concerned person and made the decision that they probably shouldn't be there anymore and we took them in to incubate them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a9LBhk0zkk

Thanks for looking and hopefully we'll have a positive update for you all in a few months :)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
About a day, which is why I needed to be extra careful with them. I may have turned one of the 32 slightly, which did not make me feel very good about myself. Other than that, I am hoping the transport, which was as delicate as possible, did not drown any embryos that decided to start developing. I am pretty confident, but you never know.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
They are pretty tough eggs,A few years ago a friend brought me some common snapper eggs that a neighbor of his had dug from a pile of topsoil, he didn't know to care properly or the eggs so they were just randomly placed in a container and brought to me several days later. There were 10 eggs, and every one hatched. I still have 2 of them.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Oh wow. That is encouraging. This is my first time incubating Chelydra, but info on their incubation is obviously not tough to find.

Hopefully I will have good news to report. The eggs look good so far.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Benjamin said:
Best of luck, good practice incubation for you!

Exactly. I've had success with Spotteds, but Kinosternids have killed my confidence.

I had the gentleman who saw the mother snapper nesting decide if I should incubate them, with as little biased opinion as I could. I wanted him to make sure it was the right decision by him as well.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
That's SO cool! Loved the video- can't wait to see them hatching!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.