3 month old tortoise

littleleo

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara
My tortoise is on antibiotic injections for RI and today when I was giving him a shot where I normally do in his front leg, it wouldn't go in. Do you think I hit a bone? Poor thing. I had to do it again to actually hit the muscle.

Also, he was walking on the counter and slipped into the sink and I think he hit his head on the sink clogger. I'm worried if he'll be okay. Looked pretty hard.

Lastly, I noticed the past two times he has pooped he has like a small red dot in his poop. He seems to be going just fine. Firm the way it should be but he hasn't been eating anything red. Just grass and yellow hibiscus and hay. Is this okay?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably ok. I hate giving shots.

The head thing is probably ok too. They're quite a bit more resilient that we give them credit for.

If the poop is hard, it might cause a bit of tearing and bleeding as it passes through the cloaca. Make sure he's well-hydrated by soaking him daily for about 15 minutes (they like to poop in the soak water), and spritzing water over his food. You can also give him softer/wetter foods until you get the poop softer.

littleleo

Santa Barbara
I hate it as well.

Okay, thank you Yvonne! Means so much. I've been giving him soaks daily and he goes there all the time. I always see him drinking water too. Hopefully it goes away. Thank you again!