3 legged tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mads21

5 Year Member
Hi,
I 've been caring for an eastern box turtle that belongs to a friend. He/she is a 3 legged turtle in which he has a back leg missing. I was keeping him outside in a 4 by 4 foot wooden and wire cage . I really know little about properly taking care of the tortoise, other than some things from online sources. It's time for him to return to his real home, and I'm concerned for him as his real home I don't feel he's well cared for. I would love if I could connect with people that could advice me on what needs to be done to provide a good home for this lone tortoise? I'm curious if he could be outside in the winter in an outside enclosure? And how much dirt should be in the enclosure for hibernation.? He's been in captivity for 6 years, could he be released? Should he /she have another tortoise?
The state is ct. :tort::tort::tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. No, he can't be released back into the wild. I also don't believe he should be left outside to hibernate, with only having three legs, might be difficult for him to properly be able to tunnel in. Others can offer more ideas and help on this too, so hold on for more.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Do you have any interest in keeping the animal? I took care of a dog for a while that belonged to a neighbor. The neighbor was out of town all the time and the dog was totally neglected with ribs showing, skin infection, left outside in freezing temps without shelter, etc. I brought the dog into my home. When the neighbor finally came back in town for a long stay, he asked for the dog back. I knew it should not go back to him, so I just said, "I have really, really fallen in love with your dog, and was wondering if you'd let me keep him." And he said yes. It was really just that easy. Just an idea...

Mads21

5 Year Member
shellysmom said:
Do you have any interest in keeping the animal? I took care of a dog for a while that belonged to a neighbor. The neighbor was out of town all the time and the dog was totally neglected with ribs showing, skin infection, left outside in freezing temps without shelter, etc. I brought the dog into my home. When the neighbor finally came back in town for a long stay, he asked for the dog back. I knew it should not go back to him, so I just said, "I have really, really fallen in love with your dog, and was wondering if you'd let me keep him." And he said yes. It was really just that easy. Just an idea...

Well, I'm attached to Dexter only in that I want him to be able to live as free as he can, and when you bring any animal into captivity, it's alot of work to make that possible. He was in a glass aquarium which was too small , and he had nothing really other than some bark that wasn't really deep enough to bury himself in and a little pool of water that always seemed too dirty, not changed daily...so when the young owners asked me to watch him, it was only suppose to be for a few weeks, but when they returned, I actually offered to keep him longer since he loved, or appeared to love the outdoor enclosure that was much larger than his 12 / 30 inch aquarium. His shell is about 7 inches long and 6 inches wide...so , I'm not really sure how old he is? His owners are certainly caring enough in that they will most likely listen to what is best for him, I think though there's alot of conflicting information out there online about what is best about a tortoise in captivity. If winter is time for hybernation, should they just be in a enclosure that is kept moist and dark? or soil in which they can bury themselves in? And is a 12 x 30 glass aquarium sufficient for a turtle of his size?

Thanks for all replies..

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
shellysmom said:

Haha! Never thought of doing something THAT simple! What a great idea! And honest too!

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Mads21 said:
Hi,
I 've been caring for an eastern box turtle that belongs to a friend. He/she is a 3 legged turtle in which he has a back leg missing. I was keeping him outside in a 4 by 4 foot wooden and wire cage . I really know little about properly taking care of the tortoise, other than some things from online sources. It's time for him to return to his real home, and I'm concerned for him as his real home I don't feel he's well cared for. I would love if I could connect with people that could advice me on what needs to be done to provide a good home for this lone tortoise? I'm curious if he could be outside in the winter in an outside enclosure? And how much dirt should be in the enclosure for hibernation.? He's been in captivity for 6 years, could he be released? Should he /she have another tortoise?
The state is ct. :tort::tort::tort:

Hello, I'm from Worcester, MA. This Three legged Box turtle cannot be allowed to hibernate outside. Only an experienced Box turtle owner can have their shelled fiend over winter outside. There are too many factors to list.

There are also many types of Box turtles that require slightly different care.

Please do not let this poor thing into the wild, it would be a death sentence.

I have a huge outdoor pen, 6 foot by 10 foot and I plan on expanding it next year. The indoor pens are only 2 foot by 4 foot, but I allow them to Brumate, shorter hibernation. I change their water dish 2 or 3 times a day. Even though they love to muddy it up, Box turtles need clean water at all times.

An Aquarium is not good for a box turtle, a deep plastic tote biggest that you can get, is much better with about 6 inches of moss over soil so Dexter can burrow. A water dish so Dexter can swim a little, but not deeper than 1/2 his/her height. Also they need humidity and a healthy diet.

There are plenty of people who can give you ideas to care for this Box turtle. I want to make sure we do what's best the Turtle, you and your friend.

Please Private message me, if you need any help. Iwill do absolutely anything I can, even taking the box turtle for the winter and returning it to you and your freind next late spring.

I don't know if Dexter is a Box turtle. 7" long seems right but 6" seems much too wide.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I agree, do not let it into the wild. It is used to being taken care of and would most likely die. If you are not too keen on keeping it, just let the owners know how to take care of it better. Refer them to this site and to other sites that are good for box turtles. If they really love it, they will want to do what is best for it. I have experience with ornate box turtles and all box turtles have different care requirements. As such, I am unfamiliar with the care of eastern box turtles. I wish you luck and keep us posted. :)

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I have been talking to "Mads21" through Private messages. The original owner has taken Dexter back. It is sad to be free outside in a safe natural box turtle habitat and then returned to an aquarium.

She did all that she could for this wonderful creature. She did an excellant job caring for Dexter and I hope the owners take some of her advice.

I hope she stays in touch and is able to give us updates.

Mads21

5 Year Member
fbsmith3 said:
I have been talking to "Mads21" through Private messages. The original owner has taken Dexter back. It is sad to be free outside in a safe natural box turtle habitat and then returned to an aquarium.

She did all that she could for this wonderful creature. She did an excellant job caring for Dexter and I hope the owners take some of her advice.

I hope she stays in touch and is able to give us updates.

Dexter will be fine. I will talk his owner into building him a suitable outdoor enclosure for next spring. I have a lot of extra wire here, I just have to work on getting him into a better enclosure for the winter, rather than the glass aquarium. They do like Dexter and certainly wouldn't want anything to happen to him. It's strange though as I never thought I would get a bit attached to the tortoise, BUT...like squirrels and raccoons, ec ...I have found myself attached.

thanks for everyones advice..

Status
Not open for further replies.