1st time lucky??

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'm just thinking out loud so this could be a really dumb question.
In the distant future when I am more experienced with torts and have more space I would like to breed Russians. I was just wondering about mating, I know females sometimes lay eggs without mating but if a pair mate and the environmental conditions are right does she always become pregnant (obviously providing the male is on the right end lol :L) or does it take a few attempts?
Just a random question that popped into my head and won't go away!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't breed or no really anything about it. But, what I have seen on here, is that sometimes the first breeding will produce eggs, but they may be infertile. Others that breed can tell you more.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
wellington said:
I don't breed or no really anything about it. But, what I have seen on here, is that sometimes the first breeding will produce eggs, but they may be infertile. Others that breed can tell you more.

Yeah I've noticed people saying that about the first clutch. It's just out of interest really, I want to learn as much as poss before venturing into breeding (I'm talking years) this is definitely the place to learn as there are so many experience people here.
I'm super excited, I get so jealous (in a good way) when I see eggs and hatchlings and I'm yet to find a breeder in my country so it would be great to have some local CB's.
I just wasn't sure if torts were like some animals that once they latch on that's it bingo, 'there's a bun in the oven' and the rest is down to nesting, incubating, temps etc? Or are they more like humans where sometimes IVF is in order? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.