…Am I killing my Russian…(substrate)

Inspire2be

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi all! This is my first tort forum!
I pretty much just got beheaded on FB because I bought 2 bags of this & spent almost $80. Apparently my Russian tort is going to die & it’s very toxic. I’m finding really nothing supporting this….I just want a lil clarification. I felt awful…and was like…I did my research….so…am I crazy and an awful tortoise owner?! He has his own stone eating area…Ty for responses. I’m glad I found this forum & will be here from now on! 🐢

Attachments

• 1412FCBE-DA5F-411C-AD3E-3A91445F9BF1.png
    1412FCBE-DA5F-411C-AD3E-3A91445F9BF1.png
    766.7 KB · Views: 8

Inspire2be

New York
That is fine to use. Most of the FB people don't have a clue and they are the ones likely killing their torts as most of them are doing everything wrong.
Thank you! I tried to ask this in that group and they flat out denied to post my comment. SMDH.

Attachments

• 6FBEF9C3-23B3-4845-8ECA-8CB17998798B.png
    6FBEF9C3-23B3-4845-8ECA-8CB17998798B.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all! This is my first tort forum!
I pretty much just got beheaded on FB because I bought 2 bags of this & spent almost $80. Apparently my Russian tort is going to die & it’s very toxic. I’m finding really nothing supporting this….I just want a lil clarification. I felt awful…and was like…I did my research….so…am I crazy and an awful tortoise owner?! He has his own stone eating area…Ty for responses. I’m glad I found this forum & will be here from now on! 🐢
Well you learned to avoid FB the hard way. Every story like this I hear screams "mass insanity" over there.

Cypress mulch is not my favorite. Its my third favorite, and it is perfectly safe to use.

The problem with "research" is that most of what you find is the same wrong info parroted over and over again. Its the same info the people on FB peddle, and it is old, outdated, incorrect and often based on erroneous assumptions. When you try to tell people it is wrong and why, based on first hand knowledge of the subject, they argue, insult and ban you. Here is the correct care info:

Here, on this forum, questions are welcome. Please feel free to ask them all. Unfortunately, if you ask for scientific study citations, there aren't many for most tortoise info. But we can share decades of trial and error lessons and experience with you. We can explain why we make the assertions we make, and provide ample evidence to back it all up. For example, if cypress was toxic, there would be a lot of dead tortoises here on this forum. When you see 1000s of them housed on cypress mulch, have housed dozens of tortoises, other reptiles, and insects on it your self, and never seen a problem with it, it is safe to assume it is not toxic or dangerous. I do not have a scientific study to prove this though.

Inspire2be

New York
Well you learned to avoid FB the hard way. Every story like this I hear screams "mass insanity" over there.

Cypress mulch is not my favorite. Its my third favorite, and it is perfectly safe to use.

The problem with "research" is that most of what you find is the same wrong info parroted over and over again. Its the same info the people on FB peddle, and it is old, outdated, incorrect and often based on erroneous assumptions. When you try to tell people it is wrong and why, based on first hand knowledge of the subject, they argue, insult and ban you. Here is the correct care info:

Here, on this forum, questions are welcome. Please feel free to ask them all. Unfortunately, if you ask for scientific study citations, there aren't many for most tortoise info. But we can share decades of trial and error lessons and experience with you. We can explain why we make the assertions we make, and provide ample evidence to back it all up. For example, if cypress was toxic, there would be a lot of dead tortoises here on this forum. When you see 1000s of them housed on cypress mulch, have housed dozens of tortoises, other reptiles, and insects on it your self, and never seen a problem with it, it is safe to assume it is not toxic or dangerous. I do not have a scientific study to prove this though.
Thank you for your reply! I was just dumbstruck for a few 😂🤦🏼‍♀️

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ive been using 100 % cypress mulch from Lowe’s (2 cubic ft for a few bucks). I’ll bet it is a lot cheaper than cypress marketed “for pets”. The cypress I use absorbs and holds a bunch of water, doesnt mildew, rot or mould. Once in awhile there is a larger piece, so for larger tortoises like our Sully it’s not an issue.

Here‘s what I use

Ps - i just looked the price of Forest Floor - ➡️ $35.00

94D3379B-213E-4ECF-8A1C-915DE40B47EF.jpeg

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Just a note that Facebook groups will actively argue about safe substrates, such as cypress mulch and orchid bark, with no evidence regarding its unsuitability as a substrate, and in the same breath state that play sand is a suitable substrate. Despite having shown that ingestion of sand can and will cause impaction, and has lead to the deaths of many tortoises.

You’ll get all the help you need here.

Inspire2be

New York
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Just a note that Facebook groups will actively argue about safe substrates, such as cypress mulch and orchid bark, with no evidence regarding its unsuitability as a substrate, and in the same breath state that play sand is a suitable substrate. Despite having shown that ingestion of sand can and will cause impaction, and has lead to the deaths of many tortoises.

You’ll get all the help you need here.
Exactly what they suggested was play sand 🤦🏼‍♀️

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Exactly what they suggested was play sand 🤦🏼‍♀️
I've never seen a single impaction case with cypress mulch. I've seen MANY cases of sand impaction and even gotten to watch a few sand impaction removal surgeries with vet friends. Stating this simple and obvious fact seems to be cause for banning over there. I don't get it. Its like they purposefully want to hurt tortoises, and they very intentionally and willfully wish to remain ignorant.