Zoo Med repti-heat cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

atklosek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hancock, MI
Ive been looking for something like that for awhile, but i dont really know if its a good idea yet so im in this one with you

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
It looks like it would work for what I want to use it for, but I'm not in love with how it says its only water resistant. I may not want to throw that in my substrate...

atklosek

5 Year Member
Hancock, MI
what else does it rreally need to be resistant to besides water?

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I'd just like it to be water proof ;)

water resistant doesn't mean much to me. Doesn't at all tell me how resistant you know? Is it a little water resistant or is it a lot?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
This is what I used- http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes

I got the 9m/27'/80watt version for my 48x20 Tortarium and it is just about right- about 1.6th or so of the floor is unheated for a better gradient. I have it hooked up to a thermostat and it runs about 1/2-2/3rds of the time this time of year in Omaha, furnace barely on and hitting mid-30 at night.

PeanutbuttER, you'll like this bit- straight from the site:
"The list of uses for Flexible Heat Rope is endless but the best feature is it's completely WATERPROOF. This means you can use it in your outside enclosures or high humidity situations." Emphasis theirs!

Before I used it, I laid it out and tested it. It never got over 90F, and even when I looped it over itself it did not get too hot for me.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Hah, well, sounds much more like what I was looking for. That's not a bad price either.

Are you using this in an indoor or an outdoor enclosure? right in the substrate?

Thanks again Mark. :)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Madkins007 said:
This is what I used- http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes

I got the 9m/27'/80watt version for my 48x20 Tortarium and it is just about right- about 1.6th or so of the floor is unheated for a better gradient. I have it hooked up to a thermostat and it runs about 1/2-2/3rds of the time this time of year in Omaha, furnace barely on and hitting mid-30 at night.

PeanutbuttER, you'll like this bit- straight from the site:
"The list of uses for Flexible Heat Rope is endless but the best feature is it's completely WATERPROOF. This means you can use it in your outside enclosures or high humidity situations." Emphasis theirs!

Before I used it, I laid it out and tested it. It never got over 90F, and even when I looped it over itself it did not get too hot for me.

How did you it laid is it under your substrate or under the enclosure

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I found a recommendation somewhere to cut a piece of mesh the size of the area, wire-tie the cable to it, and lay it under the substrate. I tried it and it seems to be working nicely.

It is positioned mesh side down in the indoor habitat under the cypress mulch. I keep the mulch damp to wet at the bottom so the cables generate warm vapor that moves up, humidifies the habitat, and provides gentle heat.

I can regulate the heat with placement, the thermostat, and substrate thickness. It runs about 85 through about an inch of mulch.

Status
Not open for further replies.