Ziegler Tortoise Monster Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Anyone having long term success with this diet supplement? As in, do your Torts even eat it?

I'm looking for another emergency food for when I run out of greens.

Ziegler Tortoise Monster Diet:

http://www.monsterdiets.com/html/rc_tortoise.htm

$27 for 6- 14oz pringle cans.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
The fact that the website is listing dark leafy greens as "treats" makes me very suspect of their knowledge/expertise on tortoise diets. Perhaps they're intent is to have consumers using their product for feeding their toroises exclusively?

I use Mazuri and Zoo Med Forest Tortoise Diet (Grassland would work for your Ibera greek) as occassional supplements/emergency food for my group. I have not heard of Ziegler Monster diets and, as I'm sure you can tell, am not all impressed by the statements made to market their product and reflect knowledge on tortoise diets.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I'd never heard of it before your post. I did a quick google search and found a list of ingredients here:

http://www.reptiledirect.com/tortoisemonsterdiet.aspx

This is what the site lists:

Oats, Corn, Wheat, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Vegetable Pomace (carrot, celery, beet, parsley, lettuce, watercress, spinach), Soy Lecithin, Soy Oil, Limestone, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Propionate, Natural Flavoring, Artificial Flavoring, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, dl-Methionine, Wheat Middlings, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Supplement), Niacin, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfate (source of Vitamin K), Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Artificial Coloring

Well, its got calcium, which is good, and some calcium-rich ingredients. However, other ingredients/fillers such as the oat, corn, salt, etc., outweigh the good. Based on the above ingredient list, I would not recommend this food as a part of a regular tortoise diet.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
mctlong said:
I'd never heard of it before your post. I did a quick google search and found a list of ingredients here:

http://www.reptiledirect.com/tortoisemonsterdiet.aspx

This is what the site lists:

Oats, Corn, Wheat, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Vegetable Pomace (carrot, celery, beet, parsley, lettuce, watercress, spinach), Soy Lecithin, Soy Oil, Limestone, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Propionate, Natural Flavoring, Artificial Flavoring, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, dl-Methionine, Wheat Middlings, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Supplement), Niacin, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfate (source of Vitamin K), Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Artificial Coloring

Not an impressive list of ingredients. Based on the above info, I would not recommend this food as a part of a regular tortoise diet.

It seems that all of the manufactured foods have less than stellar ingredients lists.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I agree, they all use bogus fillers. I do like the Zoo Med diets because they contain less of the grain fillers, but they all have sugar, vitamins, etc. at relatively unnatural rates. That's why I use them as supplements 1-2 times per month.

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
I totaly agree right there that manufactured foods have less than stellar ingredients lists. :tort: Our lep tort kids wont even touch the Zoo Med let alone look at it they would rather trample it over and cover it up with bedding..:p

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Thanks guys for your input.

Mazuri uses corn and molasses,

I've used both Mazuri and Zoomed, and sometimes the Torts will eat a little. I just know that I can't rely on it.

Going back to growing plants in 6QT oil drain pans and rotating them as the get mawled.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Their care sheet is way too vague! It combines aspects of desert and forest-dwelling tortoises. C'mon! What's good for a redfoot isn't gonna be so good for a sulcata!

Status
Not open for further replies.