Year old Russian babies... can they hibernate?

tortluvr8

5 Year Member
We have three one year old Russian tortoises that have recently gone outside to enjoy the beautiful Arizona fall. Although it doesn't get very cold here in the "winter", temperatures can drop to the 40s at night. My other Russians and one Desert tortoise(s) have outdoor burrows with heat lamps. I want to confirm with fellow enthusiasts that year old Russians do not hibernate. I believe the age of 3 is when they start??? Thanks for the information :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
they can hibernate. in the wild they hibernate at one if the weather is right I personally don't like to let young ones hibernate.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
they can hibernate. in the wild they hibernate at one if the weather is right I personally don't like to let young ones hibernate.
Why do you prefer their not hibernating?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
We have three one year old Russian tortoises that have recently gone outside to enjoy the beautiful Arizona fall. Although it doesn't get very cold here in the "winter", temperatures can drop to the 40s at night. My other Russians and one Desert tortoise(s) have outdoor burrows with heat lamps. I want to confirm with fellow enthusiasts that year old Russians do not hibernate. I believe the age of 3 is when they start??? Thanks for the information :)
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Please post pictures of your tortoises.

You could read the "Beginners' Mistake Thread" and care sheets. These are of help to new owners of these cute little animals.;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If a russian is living in the wild, yes it hibernates. I have no problem with hibernating babies, if its done right.

In your back yard in AZ it will not be able to hibernate properly and it will be in a sort of limbo, which is not good. Its too warm and sometimes too cold above ground to hibernate, but not really consistantly warm enough to stay up and functioning either.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I wouldn't do it myself at that age, not only because some say it's too young, but because I'd want the company of the babies through the winter!:)