which UVB out put do i get for my cherry head baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

~drummer215~

5 Year Member
bout 3 inches now
do i get 2.0....5.0....or 10.0 out put uvb light im goin to get one now so would be nice if someone can give me the right one to get or an idea

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
CHE Ceramic Heat Emitter

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
There are a lot of options, and a lot of the answer depends on your set-up.

My personal recommendation is to use a low-output UVB bulb (2.0 or 5.0) that is long enough to light most of the habitat, but short enough to not be overly bright- generally about 2/3rds the length of your habitat.

You can make things a bit more realistic if you use that bulb for about 6-8 hours a day, then shine a regular incandescent light on it for about 12 hours a day. Use a fairly low wattage and set it far enough away to light up the whole thing.

This won't heat the place though. Using 1-2 overhead mounted ceramic heat emitters, sometimes called IR emitters, etc. by themselves or combined with other heating methods will work nicely. Aim for a general heat of about 82ish. You can have a cooler and warmer area, roughly 75ish to almost 90ish but they will generally prefer the low to mid 80's.

There are a lot of ways to do all these things. The Tortoise Library linked in my signature has some ideas and a lot of great links you can try.

Status
Not open for further replies.