Which Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jweiner

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, WI
After doing as much research as I could, I am still somewhat confused about which tortoise to purchase. I am new to tortoises, but will be a good tortoise owner. I would really like to get a tortoise that might be about 6 months old to avoid the fragile hatchling concerns.

I understand that Hermanns are generally the most personable (which is a good thing), Russians are very hardy (which is also a good thing) and I'm not quite sure what Greeks have going for them :). I am looking for the tortoise to be smaller because I just prefer a smaller tortoise and it seems that male Russians are the smallest when full grown (although I'm not sure that's accurate). It would also be good if the tortoise was not a very picky eater, although I recognize their special dietary needs). I also don't like the idea of having to "hibernate" the tortoise so I'd like to avoid a tortoise that needs to hibernate. Given this background, what tortoise (subspecies) is the best to go with (and why)?

I plan on keeping the tortoise inside most of the time in either the small Vision tub or the small Waterland land enclosure or maybe the tortoise table from tortoisesupply.com, but their new table is not available yet and it may be considered too small by some. Any thoughts on the enclosures would also be appreciated. I will bring the tortoise outside in the summer (we live in Wisconsin). thanks for any help as I really want to move forward but am afraid to make mistakes.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'd say a Hermanni is the best for you and just because the certain species hibernates doesn't mean you have to hibernate your tortoise. I don't hibernate any of mine and they do fine...

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Both are prety great, id say go with russians they are easy
To take care of, and very hardy :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any of the three you mentioned should meet all your criterion.

In my opinion, Russians are the most fearless and personable. Hermanns are the best looking and I know the least about all the greeks.

Just make sure you get one that is captive bred to avoid a whole lot of problems. This means DON'T go buy a russian from Petco...

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Burmese Star. Why? They are really hardy, dont get big (females up to 13"), dont hibernate, can handle cooler temps just fine, graze, and are beautiful. In my opinion one of the greatest tortoises you can keep.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
I also have a question, if jweiner doesn't mind, what about diet? What, if any, is the different in diet for these three tortoises.

jweiner

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
I too would be interested in the different dietary needs of these three different species. BTW, onarock, to me, 13" is kinda big.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I personally never had russians or hermans so I can't give any input on those but my greeks are awesome ! They .... are fearless. When I look over their pen they come right at me being all nosy and they stare at me and will follow my finger around lots of fun. In terms of care it's pretty easy.... have the lamp (mvb), water, soaking, greens I can buy at the store or grass kits I plant sometimes along with mazuir/grassland diet and cactus. But generally speaking the care is going to be pretty similar for all three of those torts. Mine don't hibernate and they are just fine. Mine also dig and hide at night and come right out during the day. Although if you ever plan on getting more than one... just be aware two males will probably not be the best idea, and sometimes two females.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Whatever species you buy, make sure it is captive bred, so that a wild animal will not have to be plucked from it's natural environment.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We have not found hatchlings to be all that fragile. They require daily attention, but all animals do. Believe it or not, tortoises are very hardy little critters, they have to be in order to survive at all in the wild!!

Status
Not open for further replies.