What tortoise should i get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Hellllllloo all,
I have flirted with russian, red foot and greek tortoises yet i still cant fins a tort species that is right for me. I am looking for something somewhat hardy (but ive kept a russian for 6 years so it doesnt have to be a beginner tort) and that has an adult side of 8-10 inches. WHat would you reccomend? Thanks!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Where do you live?
How much space do you have?
What's the weather like?

Anything you get must be kept in quarantine entirely separately for a good 6 months, different species should not be kept together and Russians don't share nicely. In all probability whatever you get will have to be kept separately on a permanent basis, so the it really depends on what you have room for and what conditions you have for keeping them in.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Along with the other questions... how much time do you want to spend working with the tortoise? Do you care if you need to ship it or do you want to be able to find one near enough to go get it yourself? Inside or outside or both? One that only eats plants or would one you need to feed other forms of protein to work okay for you? Is money an object? Are you okay with having to deal with things like lighting? humidity? high temperatures?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I vote Galapagos! :) Great species and they hardly dig at all.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Tom said:

I think they are gonna slightly be bigger than the 8-10 inches the OP is looking for :p:p

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Tom said:
dmarcus said:
Tom said:

I think they are gonna slightly be bigger than the 8-10 inches the OP is looking for :p:p

Pshhh... Minor detail...

If you get a hatchling and keep it in a small tank, it will only grow to the size of its enclosure...right?

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Sorry i forgot to add details, i was really tired when i posted this and i went straight to sleep. I live in cold new jersey. I would like to start with a baby that will grow to adult size. Right now i have a room for 4' x 3' encosure but i am moving in a year so i can upgrade then. I have tons of time to work on a tortoise. I have to find a tortoise to be shipped because it is illegal to but them in new jersey. Thanks!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
jeffbens0n said:
Tom said:
dmarcus said:
Tom said:

Pshhh... Minor detail...

If you get a hatchling and keep it in a small tank, it will only grow to the size of its enclosure...right?

Just thought I should make a comment for those new to the tortoise experience, the last comment is completely a joke, it is NOT true.

zacheyp said:
Sorry i forgot to add details, i was really tired when i posted this and i went straight to sleep. I live in cold new jersey. I would like to start with a baby that will grow to adult size. Right now i have a room for 4' x 3' encosure but i am moving in a year so i can upgrade then. I have tons of time to work on a tortoise. I have to find a tortoise to be shipped because it is illegal to but them in new jersey. Thanks!

Hey that's completely understandable. Now you said you flirted with the thought of a Russian, a Greek and a Redfoot, what are you not liking about each of those?

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
ai didnt think i could provide the tropical habitat for a redfoot and i want something a bit bigger than a russian or greek because i was told they only grow to be about 6 inches

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay. All joking aside. How about an eastern Hermanns tortoise? They get bigger than Greeks, but not giant, have great personalities, are very hardy and easy to feed, and I think they are very attractive too. You can even hibernate them other winter if you wish.

I've never heard you can't buy a tortoise in NJ. Are you talking about the 4" law? If you can't buy one there, how are you going to have one shipped there?

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
Okay. All joking aside. How about an eastern Hermanns tortoise? They get bigger than Greeks, but not giant, have great personalities, are very hardy and easy to feed, and I think they are very attractive too. You can even hibernate them other winter if you wish.

I've never heard you can't buy a tortoise in NJ. Are you talking about the 4" law? If you can't buy one there, how are you going to have one shipped there?

It's not the 4" law. It is illegal to sell a tortoise in new jersey, but it is not illegal to buy a tortoise in new jersey so you can buy one on the internet and have it shipped to you. Its a very strange law. The same law also applys to turtles.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
zacheyp said:
Tom said:

It's not the 4" law. It is illegal to sell a tortoise in new jersey, but it is not illegal to buy a tortoise in new jersey so you can buy one on the internet and have it shipped to you. Its a very strange law. The same law also applys to turtles.

We have had a lot of members talk about this law. It's a strange one. :D

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
zacheyp said:
Tom said:

We have had a lot of members talk about this law. It's a strange one. :D

trust me it sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.