What to tell a friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
My neighbor wants to get a baby sulcata. They saw several of them in a pet store, both babies and adults (about 20 yrs old). They think the babies are "so cute".

Their kids (ages 4 & 2 and one on the way in a few months) REALLY want a tortoise.

I've been trying to tell them that sullys are A LOT of work. Had I known what I was getting into when I got Ralph, I wouldn't have gotten him (but I so dearly love him and really want him now, even though I know the work invovled).

I asked them what they plan on doing when they move back to Rhode Island or when they move, period (they are military). They said when they go back home to RI, they will keep it in the garage in the winter months, like I've been doing with Ralph this recent rainy weather we've had. I've tried explaining that Ralph was ONLY in there due to flooding and severe weather for A WEEK. Not a whole season. I've also tried explaining that they NEED sun, UVB, heat/humidity, etc etc. I've told her the cost of our vet bills and that our vet bills are NOTHING compared to what they could be if Ralph was sick. (by the way I mean "nothing" for $200 or less....that's usually what it costs us, but I know if there were a major issue, we'd be talking $1000 or more).

What can I tell her to change her mind? I've even tried suggesting a Russian (not diminishing the care of a Russian, but thinking of moving around state to state it'd be easier than moving a sully).

What else can I do? I'm BY FAR any type of expert, but in my opinion, they are not suitable tortoise parents.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Refer them here? Show them pictures of Bob's setup and how much work it takes to upkeep it? There was also a picture I think from Maggie with a pile of Bob's poo that was bigger than a pile of horse manure. Maybe that'd work? [No discrimination meant against Bob! I love hearing about him, and seeing pictures of him, but it definitely takes a very special, loving, dedicated person to take care of a tortoise that size. I have a TON of respect for Maggie and anyone else that owns a Sulcata! Some people are just not meant to have them.]

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
It easy to talk a parent out of an animal if it could harm a child...

you need to talk about the negatives... even if its rare, they may not know that...

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Talk about salmonella and tell them they get this big:
KingTortoise.jpg

and that they do this:
japanese-monster-turtle-on-northpole.jpg

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
I know you are trying to help and I don't have a good answer for you, but lying (I know the pictures were more of a laugh) only makes things worse for all tortoise & reptile keepers.

You can't make or stop people from doing anything. You are doing your part by informing them. This is the land of the Free :rolleyes: and people are free to make bad decisions.

M

Maggie Cummings

That's exactly what I was going to say Yvonne. We can always count on you to say the right thing. And, I typically couldn't find the link...:D

Sammi...Don't worry about it, I know exactly what you were trying to say and that's why I posted pictures of how Bob's shed is set up and how it cost $800 to do and don't forget the picture of my 'fridge stuffed full of Bob food. All of that is so newbies can see what it takes and think twice about getting a large tortoise. Here's another thought...Bob isn't eating and hasn't eaten for a few days now. I think he's depressed, he doesn't want to get out of bed and he goes outside only to see it's still raining and he walks once around his pen and goes back inside. He lays in the middle of his floor, not even under his basking light. So this is now where one has to think, am I doing right by trying to keep a large desert species in a part of the country where he has to stay inside for 7 months out of the year? Bob is not happy, he's not his active smiling self and it's a bad thing. And it hurts me and makes me sad too. This is not fair to Bob. Please read this to those people, it's simply not fair to keep someone like Bob in a Northern climate. It's just wrong.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Thanks everyone.

I forgot to mention they have two min pin dogs and frequently dog sit for their friends. When their dogs see Ralph through the fence they go crazy trying to chase/bark/get at him. (We've proofed the fence on both sides to where they can't get through). I think it's a BAD situation.

She told me this morning that they are leaning more towards a snake. (I have no comment as I know nothing about snake husbandry.)

I ended up telling her that I flat out think it's a bad idea to get any type of tort right now....with the baby coming, with the dogs, her husband going to deploy. But if she is dead set on getting one, go to a rescue NOT a pet store. Also gave her the advice NOT to listen to the pet store when they tell you what you need for a tort. I just hope she listens.

Thanks again.

chadk

10 Year Member!
[split] [split] What to tell a friend...

My tort has been out every day - even in the rain. But we've had temps ranging from the 40's to 60's for the last month. And it is looking like a nice weekend coming up. My grass and weeds are really coming back after a hard December.

I was also going to mention the sulcata challenge.

I would also say that with the right planning, and the right house\property, in the right types of areas, a big tort isn't that much work. My heated tort shed cost me about $100 to build - but I used some recycled wood and I'm still not done - but it is functional. The floor in it is 1/2 dirt for digging - he loves a good dirt bath and it keeps him occupied on cold days digging around all the big rocks and flinging dirt all over. And his poo and urine soak in like they would in the wild in a tort burrow. I scrape out some waste now and then, but for the most part, it just mixes in with the soil which happens to drain really well here (clay might be an issue). And in the yard, i don't feel the need to follow him around with a pail. Sometimes I scoop it up for the compost bin, but most of the time it just because fertilizer where it falls. 90% of his diet if form the weeds an grass in the yard.

So the average day to caring for him is pretty minimal. I check his shed once a day making sure temps are good and he is looking fine. Once or twice a week I bring him a special salad or other treat with some TNT and Calcium sprinkled on.

So after securing his yard and building his shed, he is one of my lowest maintenance animals. I just love looking out my kitchen window and seeing him out there mowing my lawn. I just stop and watch, like a kid at the zoo - totally mezmerized.

Now I'm not selling Sulcatas to just anyone as an easy pet. Take the challenge posted above. Do you have a big yard that is easily secured and you don't mind if it gets trashed and the house siding or anything else gets damaged in the yard area? Will you be able to provide the heat needed and also the shade\cool area needed? How will you provide food? Will your yard sustain a large tort trampling it down and munching all the grass and weeds? Or will you need to provide other food?

If the prospective adoptive family understands all this, and has a plan, it is their right to give it a shot. On the other hand, if they are one of those families who has a 'pet of the month' type fetish, and will lose interest as soon as the newness wears out, then there still isn't that much you can do beyond being there for them to help educate them and steer them in the right direction.

M

Maggie Cummings

It looks like it worked. There Debbie...now we haven't hijacked your thread. I am still trying out my moderator tools sort of like at Hogwarts...

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Well here's a thought, print this entire thread conversation, and also print the sulcata challenge page. You would think that'd cover it..

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Good on you, Debbie, for doing your best to educate people into making a responsible decision! :D

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
maggie3fan said:
It looks like it worked. There Debbie...now we haven't hijacked your thread. I am still trying out my moderator tools sort of like at Hogwarts...

:D
I didn't mind Maggie.

janiedough said:
maybe have them pick up your torts poop for a few weeks?

That's an idea! Though I just pick it up on my daily dog poop run. Most of it's been inside his dogloo.

I just can't imagine what they are thinking. When I emptied a bag of spring mix on my grass a few months back and she was surprised that I told her he would eat all of that (minus the red leaf lettuce that he turns his nose up at). She thought he'd only eat a little. I only give him one bag, but he'd eat more if I let him. I want him to stay on grass/weeds. Still, it gets expensive. He definately costs more to feed than my dogs. But I wouldn't trade him for the world. I should have her take care of him for a whole week, not just the poop. (Of course I'd watch over her like a hawk because Ralph is my baby).

I don't know what she will do in emergencies. Example: (though not an emergency at all) The first time I saw that Ralph presented his manhood to us, I thought something was wrong. I had never seen something like that before and seriously thought he prolapsed. So here I am rushing my tort to the animal ER only to find "it's gone" when I get there. Then feeling like a complete moron when I realized what happened (actually being told what happened). So $100 later for something that was as natural as the sun rising.....

Yes I laugh about it now, and am sure I will laugh about many other things, but my gut is telling me they aren't the right fit as tort parents.

And I'm not saying sullys are the easiet to care for, nor am I saying they are the hardest to care for. I'm also not complaining about the work that I do with him.

I'm just saying you know when a certain person shouldn't have a certain type of animal.

It's late and I'm probably just mumbling all my thoughts that are in my head. I just worry about the daily health of a tort if they do end up getting one.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
I would still try to push them toward a russian. They are more compact which makes their needs easier to fulfill, especially if you have to keep them indoors. It's a bad economy right now, so level with their inner miser. The russians, being so much smaller, will cost tons less to feed, house, heat, etc. and they are very personable tortoises.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
They came home with a ball python today. They are waiting on the tortoise until next month. SIGH.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Seriously? Man, these people seem to jump before they think... no offense.... I'm sure you are frustrated, but don't give up.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
No offense taken :)

Apparently they've taken care of snakes before. Okay.

But when they went to look at sullys, they thought it was a 'GREAT CHARACTERISTIC' that they were "spiky". I tried explaining it to them that that was pyramding and NOT okay. They want one with the most spikes.

I'm sad, frustrated, and will lose it on them if I find out they get one and then not take care of it purposely. I will call animal control if they do it purposely.

Status
Not open for further replies.