what to do.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletaker101

5 Year Member
Is it important to let a tort sleep ouside in the summer or can you let it out there in the daytime and take in in at night?

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
You Can Do Either Or, What Species Tortiose do You Have, and How Old?
Where Do You Live, Whats The Temps Like In The Summer Nights?

turtletaker101

5 Year Member
wanted, suggestions

What type of stuff do you guys use for bedding? sand, wood shavings or other stuff?

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
turtletaker101 said:
What type of stuff do you guys use for bedding? sand, wood shavings or other stuff?

I'd suggest a thick layer of coconut coir, Walter seems to love digging around in hers. It stays fluffier and less compact then dirt/sand, and it holds more humidity.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
turtletaker101 said:
Is it important to let a tort sleep ouside in the summer or can you let it out there in the daytime and take in in at night?

Spending the night outside, is not that important. The major concern is can you keep your tortoise safe outside at night from the higher activity of predators and are temps warm enough for them (or will you provide a heated house outside for them).

turtletaker101 said:

With the exception of the larger sulcata, redfoots and leopards, which I have on cypress mulch, I use coir with a bit of sand as the major part of my substrate. Some have smaller areas of cypress and many have leaf piles in addition to the coir/sand. I have tried just about all the other types of substrates and have found this works best for me and my tortoises.

Straight sand as a substrate is not a good thing and has a high risk of impaction. If you mix it in with something like coir (Bed-a-beast) with only like 20% sand, you should be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.