Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
dmmj said:
One eyed trouser snakes.
I guess it depends on how you judge intelligence. You place a slider for instance on a table top and they will jump right over the edge, is it because it is dumb or is it because in the wild that is how it escape into the water?

Pretty funny stuff

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yeah, hands down, I would agree that varanids (monitors) are the Einsteins of the lizard family, and arguably of all reptiles. I've heard the crocodile monitor is pretty crafty.

Cobras are known for being intelligent in the snake dept., with King Cobras ranking pretty close to the top.

Don't really have much experience with crocodilians, but I hear Cuban Crocodiles are the only species to hunt in coordinated groups.

Also don't have a lot of experience with turtles and tortoises. No species really stands out.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I have to throw the North American Wood Turtle in here. They blow me away. Scary smart.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Ethan D said:
tortadise said:
Lol @ len. I do have to say as well when I kept crocodillians my caimens were very smart. But didnt seem to show the procrss of thinking like my monitors did. Specifically the lace monitor, or crocodile monitor.

If you could get your hands on one, komodo dragons are very intelligent, and don't develop the bacteria in their saliva in captivity :D

Bacteria or not...they are venomous! And, I wouldn't be so quick to wave that theory around! When Kraken was a baby, she bit Trooper (Walsh), her keeper, who subsequently spent two weeks in the hospital...as they were unable to ascertain the BACTERIAL agents that caused Trooper's "illness"...just sayin'

Intelligence has to be determined by several factors...instinct, experience, patience and practice...being the predominant ones. With that being said...I'd call it a virtual toss up between the king cobra and any of the larger crocodiles (Salties, Nile and Siamese).

Status
Not open for further replies.